John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery light came on the other night. The next day, the machine started fine but the light came on about 10 minutes into the ride. Stopped briefly and the machine wouldn't start. Got jumped, took her home and parked it. Tore off the side shield to get to the battery easier and put a charger on it for a couple of hours. Battery seemed to charge up fine. Put about 10 miles on it thereafter with no additional problem. Anyone have any problem so far with the battery or alternator?

·
Registered
904 Posts
No problems so far. Sounds like lose connection or bad alternator, or does this machine have a stator?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't wait for the battery load tester and just went to JD and bought a new battery. After charging it for a couple hours, I put it in and rode for a while. When it got dark I flipped on the headlights and almost immediately my battery light came on. I'm gonna check a few fuses tonight. Any suggestions? Bad voltage regulator? Stator?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Stator is part of the alternator,,and so is the regulator...Have you checked the available amperage left !! after all the accessories are on ?..Kinda sounds like a cable issue...or you might wanna check the Field wire...Maybe computer controlled like most of all the new cars are...Add power to that wire ....It wont let the smoke out!!!! it happens to be the main wire to field the alternator....Master auto Tech

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked a few fuses and different connectors. Also disconnected the winch, the only item that was directly wired into the battery. The only accessories are a 12" led bar and two HID can lights on the roof. They are hooked up by Deere's factory harness and only have power when the machine is on. I don't like messing with electrical stuff so I dropped it off at Deere yesterday morning. I have about 2300 miles and 130 hours on the machine. Hope it isn't the stator. I'll update when I learn more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here is another thought 130 hrs on a OE battery..I really don't know how cheezy they are..With the extra load you would lose the storage in the Battery and thus the charge light came on...A cure for this would be a Bigger pulley on the alternator:D:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More than likely your main 40 amp fuse is starting to melt very very slightly. So little that you may not even notice it. if you are looking at the fuse bank with the hood open, it is on the 40 amp fuse on the right side of the bank. Replace it to see if your battery light goes off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Deere has 2 checks to test. There are 3 wires coming off stator. (Cover with Deere on it). Check all three combos of those 3 wires with an ac volt meter. Should be over 80v ac every time. Then check battery voltage when running. Needs to be between 12.5 and 13.5 v DC. If both are good Deere says its good. I haven't done any dtac things with mine yet. I was waiting until thus winter so I can have it at the store while I'm doing the case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check the charge rate with a volt meter should be about 14 volts , then turn on lights and accessories and watch what the voltage does should maintain voltage
Also if you can get ahold of a load tester test the battery under load for 15seconds should hold at least 10 volts otherwise battery is bad.hope this helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Checked a few fuses and different connectors. Also disconnected the winch, the only item that was directly wired into the battery. The only accessories are a 12" led bar and two HID can lights on the roof. They are hooked up by Deere's factory harness and only have power when the machine is on. I don't like messing with electrical stuff so I dropped it off at Deere yesterday morning. I have about 2300 miles and 130 hours on the machine. Hope it isn't the stator. I'll update when I learn more.
40 amp fuse needs replaced. 2500 miles on mine, same problem. Started with checking all connections and what the charge was. Fuse didn't even look bad, but it gets too hot and starts to melt from the inside. Replace the fuse, fixes the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts