John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m not going to blame my wife as I’ve seen on other forums:). I’m the idiot, I received this gator as part of the sale of my house and never thought to ask what kind of fuel it took. It’s an older gator and it didn’t say Diesel anywhere obvious. Curious how bad I screwed up this machine and whether it’s repairable. When I last used it there was allot of knocking but it seemed to go ok. I probably drove less that 5 hours with mixed fuel, then filled the tank with pure gas until I realized the mistake. Any and all advice / along with some expected abuse welcome:). Thanks

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Drain the fuel completely, fill with fresh diesel and give it a try. With any luck it’s ok but there is a chance damage has occurred.
Could always run a leak down test or compression test to verify it is ok with respect to cylinder sealing. (pinched or broken ring lands or bent connecting rod)

Rod bearings are also a concern.

mid you thought it was gas and the engine was knocking, why did you use it for 5 hours? A gas engine that sounds like a diesel has a problem.

Good luck and hope all is ok.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will try that and pray. I’ve heard mixing some biodiesel or vegetable oil into the tank is a good idea, do you recommend that and cleaning the fuel pump / lines? I didn’t know what the sound was, assumed it had been sitting for a while. Learned the hard way I guess.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I would not run biodiesel or vegetable oil and would stick to diesel form a supplier with quick turnover of product (ie: truck stop or similar). Evacuating all fluid from the tank and lines is highly desired before starting again. Simply take the supply lines and fuel filter off and disassemble if needed.

Could add a diesel lubricant (at max dose), but not certain if its necessary or something that might give you more confidence that you tried everything before starting. Example: Power Service

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
897 Posts
After draining and refilling the fuel tank with diesel I would remove the fuel lines from the injectors. Put a catch cup under the fuel lines and turn the engine over on the starter until the flow switches from gas to diesel. Reconnect the fuel lines to the injectors and try starting. This will save you any more time running on gasoline while purging the fuel lines and pump.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
So what did the Op do?

It’s a bit frustrating trying to help and then the OP ghosts their own post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts