John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much consideration, I ended up buying a Mule 4010 Trans 4x4 (diesel) 2 weeks ago. I drove it for the first 20hrs for initial break-in, but this week, turned it over to "the guys". They've been running it 5 hours a day and it's been great. In the meantime, I kept looking at the Gator brochures, forums, etc. Mentioned this to a neighbor who bleeds green & yellow. Turns out, he wants to upgrade his '08 620i for a new 625i! So guess what? Yup... I'm gonna end up with a Gator after all :D. He's going to drop it off next week and I can hardly wait! Has the power bed lift, heavy duty brush guard, front fender guards, poly bedliner, horn & about 840hrs. Thanks all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Thanks for letting us know even though it wasn't the Gator - I was really curious how it would turn out. Also congrats on getting a Gator as well! Enjoy both and look forward to hearing more about them (yep, even the Mule :)).

- Steve in CO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Steve! So far, the Mule's been great although they just came to me this morning to hand me broken pieces of the rear tail light :(. When the bed dumps "too far", the tail lights hit the rear tires... oops!

Oh, and I guess I'm going to end up buying 2 620is. My neighbor has another that he said he'd sell me if I'm interested. It's an 06 620i but I'm thinking it might be an 07... EFI and if I remember correctly, it had XUV on the side of the cargo bed? Same configuration as the other: power bed, poly bed liner, heavy duty brush guard, front fender guards, floor mats, horn, all manuals & service records as he's original owner on both, & 1100 hrs. Is $4K fair?

Can hardly wait to "join the club!"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow! When you decide to join the club, you go full out! :D

Unfortunately, I can't help much with pricing on the 620i's, but it sounds like a super bargain. I only found one nearby when I was looking. It was listed really low - something around $3K as I recall. I figured it was either somebody who didn't know how much to ask or it was something fishy. I suspect the latter because I didn't even get replies and disappeared from Craig's list about a week later - and then showed up again a couple of weeks later under a different name.

It's asking price only (not what they are actually selling for) but I used Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota and Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder to get an idea of what people were trying to get. I recall that listings for 620i's in the '06 range were starting just south of $7k - and that was only about a year ago.

Sounds like you've got a great deal in your hands!

Enjoy!

- Steve in sunny CO

·
Registered
62 Posts
7 Grand for a 6 year old 620 sounds like a lot of money to me...for an extra 5 grand, you can buy a brand spankin' new bare 825i...I'm not sure what new 620/625's go for today as I have never priced one, but almost $7000.00 for a 6 year old one sounds kinda pricey...

You got to remember...same as with Harleys that owners are trying to sell everyday....what they ask for them, and what they actually get for them is usually a long ways apart...people who bought Harleys in the past 5 or 6 years because of the "Discovery Channels, I want to be like a cool Biker too, so I am gonna rush out and buy a Harley" end up having them sit in their garages for a couple years because it didn't turn out to be as cool as they thought....then, they list them for damn near what they paid for them and can't understand why they can't sell them, because "the salesman at the Dealership told them that it would be worth more in a couple years"..." There are a million other Harleys out there for sale now because of that, and the ones that get sold are the ones that the sellers price using common sense...not what they need to get out of it to pay off their loan...

Sorry for the long story analogy, but I've been a Biker since I was old enough to ride the roads on Motorcycles and I buy, rebuild, and sell a bunch of old vintage Harleys ever year...I watch the prices of them and it is down right comical the prices some of these idiot owners try to get out of 6 and 7 year old bikes....today, you can go into any Deere Dealership and buy a brand new 825i/855D/625 or any other Gator for less then 12 grand and finance it at less than 2% interest...that's why there's alot of older machines out there for sale now...it's a buyers market these days because of it being almost as cheap to buy a new one with low financing rates as it is to buy a used one...

If YOU think you are getting a good deal on a machine because you know it's history and you can afford what the owner is asking, then it IS a good deal..."something" is only worth what someone else will be willing to pay for it whether it be a Gator, a Harley, a used Pick-up, or a tractor...

Good luck with your future purchases...

Larry in MD :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out those sites, Steve... thanks for the references. Based on what's for sale, I'm comfortable buying my neighbor's older Gator, too. He told me he'd knock off another few hundred because it needs it's 100 hour service. :)

Larry... thanks also for your input. I totally agree with you and thankfully, I know the owner well and all his equipment is always maintained correctly and his price to me is based on dealer trade-in value. And, had these "neighborly deals" not fallen into place, you are absolutely correct, I would still be looking to buy a new 825i!

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
46 Posts
7 Grand for a 6 year old 620 sounds like a lot of money to me...for an extra 5 grand, you can buy a brand spankin' new bare 825i...I'm not sure what new 620/625's go for today as I have never priced one, but almost $7000.00 for a 6 year old one sounds kinda pricey...

Yep, that's why I emphasized it was the asking price. ;)

After I posted, I realized that this was actually almost 2 years ago. Last year, I had pretty much given up on the used market (there's a dearth of anything decent in my area) and was already working with my JD dealer on a demo deal (855d at the time). So I was looking at trying to find something about 4 years old for $6500. :D

As for "an extra 5 grand", for those of us scraping to afford a Gator, that is quite a large chunk of change. :p I'm glad I ended up with the 825i instead of one of the older machines, but I needed to tighten my belt quite a bit - even with the low JD financing cost.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the diversity in the forum! Keep those posts coming. :cool:

- Steve in sunny CO

·
Registered
62 Posts
Steve....you said..."As for "an extra 5 grand", for those of us scraping to afford a Gator, that is quite a large chunk of change. :p I'm glad I ended up with the 825i instead of one of the older machines, but I needed to tighten my belt quite a bit - even with the low JD financing cost."

That was my point of what I said about the extra 5 grand....believe it or not, there are alot more people who will buy a new 825i/855D for the "less than 2%" financing with a small down payment than those that will put out a bulk sum of $5000/$6000/or more for a used Gator that is half the cost of a new one....I realize the extra 5 grand is alot of money, but when you spread it out in payments with a low financing rate, then it becomes affordable, as you are a good example of....

That was all I was trying to get across...it works the same way with people buying new cars and trucks with a super low or 0% financing rate...it's cheaper for the person to buy new than to buy a used vehicle that they will have to finance for 9% or more...(It's always the payment amount...that's what sells cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other toys...if you can get a low payment amount spread over time, it's always easier than putting out the full amount for a used vehicle or toy...;))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts