John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now with 50 mi. On new machine going down a hill at idle engine will stumble and die, upon restart engine smokes like a qt. of oil has been dumped in the exhaust! Last time engine would not turn over enough to start till it cooled down, it acted like it was trying to hydraulic like there was oil on top of the pistons. Oil level looks good and has not been changed for the first time yet any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking real close (hard to see new oil on dipstick) looks like engine was over filled at factory by. About 2 pints.

·
Registered
242 Posts
good glad you found it...mine was overfilled from the dealer...also the transmission was over filled...rear diff was 1/2 quart low...not real please with the mechanic...but dealer was great to work with...

·
Registered
4 Posts
850I smoking

i removed a quart of oil from the engine oil tank and it is still overfull. hard to believe that someone setting these up isn't better than that..specially JD.
i warmed up the engine and let it sit for 5 mins, then ckd the oil, way overfull. guess i will have to take out some more...hard to believe....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Especially when it says right on the fill cap/dipstick"overfilling may damage engine....then they send you a new gator with to much oil...
hope this helps. tks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smoking Gator

i finally changed oil and filter on my new gator, and it quit smoking. in all i drained 5 quarts out...put back in about 3 & 3/4 quarts and it is dead on the full. now the fun begins!!!
have a great day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
To properly check the oil you have to run the unit for 30 seconds at 4000 rpm. It is a dry sump and this can be difficult to check... so you have to heat it up a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
smoking

Twice now with 50 mi. On new machine going down a hill at idle engine will stumble and die, upon restart engine smokes like a qt. of oil has been dumped in the exhaust! Last time engine would not turn over enough to start till it cooled down, it acted like it was trying to hydraulic like there was oil on top of the pistons. Oil level looks good and has not been changed for the first time yet any ideas?

Mine was doing the exact same thing and I took it back to the dealer they said it had to much oil in it.

They changed the oil and serviced it and I have not had a problem since.

The only problem I have with mine now is the rust on the front end spindles and A-arms and the brakes squeeking.

Still love my new machine, I'm sure John Deere will take care of this as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts