John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how hot anyone else's machine gets. Last fall and winter my machine hardly ever got into the black hash marks on the temperature gauge (wish it had an actual temp reading!!). However, this spring I frequently get into the last two "black" marks. I put 27" Black Diamonds on it a month ago and wondered if this was putting the extra stress on the engine and causing the hotter condition. I plan to flush the radiator fins out tonight to see if that makes a difference. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have not noticed anything like that on mine and I am running 29.5 Outlaw 2s. I will pay close attention to it next time I do a lot of riding.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't neglect the little things!!

Thanks for the reply! Got home, flushed out the radiator fins and SURPRISE! They were way dirtier than I thought. I guess 97 hours of dusty riding caught up with me. Anyway, washed the radiator and went on a 5 mile romp down some gravel roads. Never even got above 3 bars!! Live and learn.

On a side note, the radiator was extremely easy to flush out from rear to front. I thought that the fan shroud would make it a real PITA. However, when you angle your hose at different angles and apply a little thumb pressure you can get the whole radiator.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Glad to know it was a simple issue. Also, glad to know she is easy to clean, I need to rinse mine out since I went mud riding in mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RSX850I Trail Smoking and getting hot

Having the same problem with my machine getting hot and up into the black bars.

Took it to the shop and they said the radiator hoses were loose.

Back in the shop now for same issue and smoking out the exhaust when idiling in gear with the parking brake on.

Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i had this problem with mine and i had to get air out of my coolant lines and fill up the radiiator when it was put together from the JD store they did not take the time to do this

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still seem to have some problems with the "black bars" (not necessarily overheating). My gauge will typically show one black bar before the fan comes on. I think it is probably a calibration issue. There is a thread about it on one of the 825i forums. Anyway, for kicks I installed an inline temp gauge and saw that my fan typically comes on at around 200 degrees. Anyway, I do quite a bit of low speed and stop and go riding (depends on whether I'm riding with the balls out crowd or the frequent beer stop crowd), and do note that the machine's fan will cycle quite a bit. I have tried to get in touch with UTV Inc. to see if they are going to offer a fan override setup that seems pretty popular on other machines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info.

My dealer tells me they have contacted DETAC or DTAC with JD to open up a case for the problems I'm having with my RSX.

Curios if anyone has heard of this?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have heard of JD dealers contacting them. They is where they start when having serious non fixable issues so they can get a fix and if other dealers are reporting the same thing, then that department works towards a PiP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine does the same thing one black bar I just thought that was the way it ran I did have to bleed all the air out as I said above but mine does the same thing yours is doing

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine does the same thing one black bar...I think its normal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts