John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to set the timing on these? I can get the engine to fire but it won't run, I'm getting exhaust coming out of the throttle body so I'm assuming my timing is off. I could use some help. Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
put cylinder #1 (left side) on top dead center, install cam marked "L" install cam gear with mark "P" facing out (away from cam) align pointer next to P to point at the dimple at the top of the head with slack side of chain on the tensioner side, install chain tensioner

turn engine 3/4 turn in normal direction of engine running and get cylinder #2 (right side) at top dead center

install cam marked "R" and install cam gear with mark "A" facing out (away from cam)align pointer next to A to point at the dimple at the top of the head with slack side of chain on the tensioner side, install chain tensioner

·
Registered
242 Posts
Engine timing?..If it starts and dies why would you think the Timing is off..The 825 has a t-belt what does your Rig have,,no Distributor No setting timing...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 850i has cams and valves that have to be timed.. I believe I set mine off a little bit because I'm getting exhaust at the throttle body

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did someone put a Potato in your exhaust pipe?..I do believe you do not have a variable cam timing motor here...If the rig ran before,,,,the belt/chain or gears ???? Bring this Rig to Canby Oregon I can Fix It!!!...And Why would YOU play with Cam Timing. Huh

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fred this rsx was given to me in about six different boxes. I built the motor from scratch with no instructions. I missed on the timing a little and asked for help adjusting my timing. If you haven't ever changed taken the heads off a 850 you wouldn't understand

·
Registered
242 Posts
You are right but..If the and crank gears have timing marks I would suggest putting it to those marks on the Chain

·
Registered
242 Posts
and no I personal don't have the timing specs. for your motor and alldata will not give them to me unless I call them,...Give year make and model, maybe I can find out.. Or talk with your local dealer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well when I built it they told me a little info, my dealer really doesnt want me working on it because they don't tell me much.. But what they did tell me was what dodgetrucker said just without all the detail... If I can't get it to run after resetting the timing I'll be asking again for sure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to set the timing on these? I can get the engine to fire but it won't run, I'm getting exhaust coming out of the throttle body so I'm assuming my timing is off. I could use some help. Thanks
Just curious what you found out to fix it. I have the exact same problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i have a john deere xuv835m, cranks but doesnt start, exhaust coming out of the air filter, do i have to adjust the timing gears? Has spark and getting plenty of fuel, it just doesnt want to start

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
So i have a john deere xuv835m, cranks but doesnt start, exhaust coming out of the air filter, do i have to adjust the timing gears? Has spark and getting plenty of fuel, it just doesnt want to start
Please consider re-posting under the 825/835 discussion area

1 - 13 of 13 Posts