John Deere Gator Forums banner

Engine Will Not Crank

33K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  outlaw 
#1 ·
This is really strange to me. I have checked everything out all the way to the starter solenoid. If I measure the voltage when I turn the key to start I am reading 12.15 volts at the end of the wire that connects to the solenoid. The engine does not even click. If I take a hot wire from the battery and touch the same location on the solenoid, it starts right up. The only difference is the voltage direct is 12.4 volts which is only a .15 voltage drop through the wiring harness.
Any Ideas ????:

#2 ·
It sounds to me like a sensor somewhere is not allowing the key to engage the starter not a voltage problem. When I put snorkels on my bike it did just as you describe and come to find out I had a sensor under the air box unplugged still. Check your oil levels and your electrical connections.

#3 ·
I assume that you disconnected the signal wire at the solenoid when you checked it for voltage? If so.. measure the voltage with it connected and see what happens. If the voltage drops out, then I would say a bad ground somewhere or a bad connection. A good thing to keep in mind with any electrical circuit is what is it doing under load. For example, a continuity check on a wire. Meter says it has 0 ohms resistance. Good circuit you say? maybe not. Your meter with its AA or 9V battery doesnt really LOAD test that wire. A single strand of a multi strand 14ga wire will show 0 ohms resistance thru that circuit. It may even show you have good battery voltage at the end you disconnected. NOW... will it handle 10 to 15 amps load? No way. Just an example of how the lil things can trick f@#* ya.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the input. I did check several connections and found out that the plug connection to the voltage regulator / rectifier was so full of dirt and rust that it was not making a clean connection. Once I took it apart and cleaned it , the Gator started right up.

#7 ·
I suggest you start your own thread detailing your problem.

Please explain what "still no power anywhere" means. Did you test voltage with a volt meter and it is zero?

#8 ·
thanks for your response

I started my own thread, I have checked my battery and it is fine, the owners manual says there are 8 fuses but none seem to control all electric, I am wondering if there is a fuseable link somewhere? I cannot get the ignition switch out to see if there is power there, a bad ignition switch could be the problem I think.

#9 ·
I cannot get the ignition switch out to see if there is power there
Lift the hood and remove the black plastic tray. This will expose a good bit of the dash wiring and it may enough to probe the switch without removing it from the dash.

#10 ·
thanks for your help, although my battery read over 12 volts, it drops down to 10 under load, the sticker says it is 7 years old, cannot believe it still worked up until last week. I have no clue as to why jumping it with a battery pack and using a charger on it wouldn't make it work or even light the bulbs on the dash. getting a new battery today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.