John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 RSX 850i one side of my exhaust is Glowing Red. I have new plugs and wires on the way. Am leaving. For Maine to ride in 5 Days. I need some ideas what else could be wrong

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
2014 RSX 850i one side of my exhaust is Glowing Red. I have new plugs and wires on the way. Am leaving. For Maine to ride in 5 Days. I need some ideas what else could be wrong

Could pipe and/or muffler be clogged ?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If the exhaust pipe is glowing red on a particular cylinder close to the head, it is typically caused by a lean condition. There can be other root causes, but these are the typical problems.

Simple no cost checks you can do yourself:
1. Verify the air cleaner and inlet pipes are unobstructed.
2. Swap the fuel injectors from side to side to see if the red hot exhaust follows the swap or stays with the cylinder.
3. Measure fuel pressure.
4. Possible vacuum leak

Report back what you find.

Can you clarify when and where it is glowing red?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far you’ve been lucky. On our third gator, last month our baby got burnt on about a one foot square area above the exhaust. My husband had been using gator for about ten minutes. It was parked in garage for about fifteen minutes. Baby wanted “up” cargo box just a big playpen to him. He’s played in a few times under adult supervision when parked in garage. He screamed. I grabbed him…felt around for a piece of glass or something and felt the red hot small area and it was like putting your hand in a flame. Baby has 2 nd degree burns on foot and is still healing after a month. And as distraught as we are, there is also the realization that had a gas can, or lawn mower been placed there someone would have been killed. I can’t be the only person aware of gator related injuries. I have to put this somewhere where hopefully it can be seen as I can’t find any other warning post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gesture Thumb Toe Nail Foot

So far you’ve been lucky. On our third gator, last month our baby got burnt on about a one foot square area above the exhaust. My husband had been using gator for about ten minutes. It was parked in garage for about fifteen minutes. Baby wanted “up” cargo box just a big playpen to him. He’s played in a few times under adult supervision when parked in garage. He screamed. I grabbed him…felt around for a piece of glass or something and felt the red hot small area and it was like putting your hand in a flame. Baby has 2 nd degree burns on foot and is still healing after a month. And as distraught as we are, there is also the realization that had a gas can, or lawn mower been placed there someone would have been killed. I can’t be the only person aware of gator related injuries. I have to put this somewhere where hopefully it can be seen as I can’t find any other warning post.
And just to confirm we are cautious and diligent, our property has multiple surveillance cameras to prove gator was parked in garage at the time. It’s used for yard work only.

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I would be sending the incidence directly to JD Corp via certified letter to grab their attention.

Also consider sending to your local consumer protection authority.

Unless info is presented to the proper authorities no action or consideration will be given.

Reactions: Bradhill
1 - 7 of 7 Posts