John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I changed my oil and filter today, the owners manual states 3.4 gts. with filter change, OK, I start to fill up the oil tank with oil and all of a sudden it overflows oil out of the top of tank, WTF, I do not have 2 gts.into tank and oil is running out the top, I started the engine for a split second to see if it would go down once the filter filled up with oil, no change, still at the top of fill neck, that's it I stopped and will call dealer tomorrow.
I can't think of anything I screwd up, just not sure what the hell is going on,, HELP.
Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK people after sleeping on this I think I know the problem, not sure yet until I go and check, I think I pulled the plug for the trans. oil, I just reached up into one of the cut out holes in the under belly plastic found a drain plug and thought it was the engine oil plug,,(wrong plug) I will find out shortly.
Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
10 Posts
dude, calm down. he made a simple mistake that anyone could make, aint no big deal. there's no need for that kind of negativity here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Agreed...no need for the negativity...Glad you found out what the problem was.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Kenner, I would like to apologize for that comment. That will not be tolerated.

I hope you found your problem. I have not changed my oil, the dealer has. Since this thing has a separate oil tank, do you have to drain the tank and the crankcase?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Everyone, No need to apologize, I have learned through out life you cannot please everybody, I have stopped trying to do that long ago, anyway the tank does drain with the crankcase, In my case you just need to pull the right plug. ( live and learn)

Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey everyone, I just came on here today and saw all this....
I never realized my comment would of been takin so seriously...but i understand it would of probably came across that way. I just thought it was funny and I should of said haha after i guess.
I'm sorry if i caused any grief or hurt anyone's feelings. NOT my intention :)
Im new here and will learn.
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Everyone, No need to apologize, I have learned through out life you cannot please everybody, I have stopped trying to do that long ago, anyway the tank does drain with the crankcase, In my case you just need to pull the right plug. ( live and learn)

Thanks
kenner
Sounds like something I would do. lol glad it was nothing major!

·
Registered
51 Posts
is everyone running the JD oil or an alternative? I am a big fan of Mobile 1 been running it for years... especially my motorcycles.

·
Registered
904 Posts
As long as its under warranty, I believe in running the John Deere oil. I will probably still run it even afterwards.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did the same thing on my wife's car last time I changed the oil. I thought the oil looked funny. Darn front wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like kenner, I went to change the oil in my 2014 RSX850i today and ended up draining the transmission oil. I DID notice that the oil looked funny and did some investigating (checked both oil level dipsticks) and realized what I had done. My problem is, I can't find the engine oil drain plug! I've dropped the plastic skid plate and have looked everywhere. Is it hidden somewhere? Did they make a model without a drain plug? Do I need to just pull the hose that comes from the oil tank to drain the oil? WTH?

EDIT: Never mind.... I found it. Previous owner had taken the Gator muddin' at sometime and the underside of the engine was coated with dirt. I had scraped off what I could but didn't realize the drain plug was flush with the engine (the allen hole was filled with dirt). Finally saw it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts