John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 550 s4 that will idle and rev fine but when I put it in gear it pops and back fires and has no power to move. I need to pull the plugs but can't seem to find any info on the engine maintenance. I can't even see where that are for the housing hovers. Anybody know if a manual exist or how you get to the plugs,
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surly someone on this forum knows how to gain access to the plugs on a 550! I would think this would be the forum to be part of to find out something that simple.
George

·
Registered
33 Posts
Surly someone on this forum knows how to gain access to the plugs on a 550! I would think this would be the forum to be part of to find out something that simple.
George

First of all, George, welcome to the forum.

As these 550's have only recently came out, a slower response time should be expected on these types of failure/problem questions.

I assume you purchased this gator new from a John Deere dealer?

#1 - contact your dealer, this type of situation should be alleveated under warranty.

#2 - ALL new John Deere equipment includes an operator's manual. If you didn't receive one, again, call your dealer. Part number is OMM164562 - English

#3 - Read your operator's manual. Page 44...the plugs are located under the back bench seat. You'll need to remove the center plate (the piece that looks like a toolbox tray). Spark plug gap spec is .762mm (.030 in.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We did buy it from a dealer. At around 10 hours it quit and it turned out to be crud in the carb from setting for 5 or 6 weeks, this stuff they sell now for gas! I went to high test with Stabel and all was well until it set for 3 weeks. It now has 32 hours and until 2 days ago, would not move, only idle and rev. I did replace the plugs to no avail. It would also, on occasion, be hard to take out of gear. That turned out to be high idle even though it did not sound like it was running too fast. I put it on the trailer and took it to my dealer only to have them run it off the trailer and run it around the lot as if nothing was wrong. Still have no clue why it started running right. They did say I needed to run rec gas - 90 octane no ethanol. The manual said nothing about the fact I could not use regular "gas".
Thanks for the reply.
George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts