John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my machine a lil last night and everything seemed to be operating fine...parked for a bit and went to take back off, when I get to 11-12 mph the front end makes an AWFUL grinding noise...Could this be the differential and what could have caused this??? Thanks for any help also, If it IS the dront differential, can it be disconnected from the drive line and still operate under 2wd???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was in 2wd for sure...That sounds like maybe my issue...It makes a clicking noise that gets more rapid as you speed up then at bout 11-12 mph it grinds with a horrible noise and vibration...Ty so much for the reply...:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DeereSales101 this forum has been VERY helpful to me when I have issues with my machine...So thankful to have this option rather than paying dealer costs to just find out the problem...Thanks again and I will definitely be back to ask a few more questions soon...:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Questions came sooner than I had expected...LOL...Called the local dealer and they say the half shaft must be bought as one WHOLE piece and would be over $300...Wondering if there is an option OTHER than that??? Aftermarket??? Or can a joint be purchased without paying such a high price??? Thanks in advance for any comments or help with this issue...:)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
the half shaft is what deere calls the whole CV axle. and not really unless u wanna send urs off to gorilla and have them rebuild it but thats about 500. just how did it mess up? did u put it in a bad postion and lay to it or what?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not really sure what happened with it drove down a STEEP mountain the other night and used low gear and front diff. lock to creep down it...had a slight squeek afterward that I heard and then after drivin a bit on the highway last night it started acting as I described in the last couple posts...It is a two year old machine that hadnt had much of any parts replaced...believe it has 138 hrs or so on it...Did have to change the belt recently

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
is it possible that both tires come off the ground if not but for a sec? cause that will case the front diff to bust hince y deeresales asked if u had the diff locked in or not. just wondering but id check the shafts if they feel tight with no popping id drain the front case and see if there is any metal in the oil. that would tell u if the diff is busted or not

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
no didnt do no jumpin...have had spinal surgery and i'd be afraid of injuring my hardware in my back...sounds fun but I'm sure I'd pay for it if I did...:) Thanks for the troubleshooting tips also...gonna have my brother in law help me to fix it in a day or so...I will post what I find out...Thanks again yall...ALSO, was curious if I remaove the front drive line can the machine be operated without it in place and in 2wd only??? Would like to try to save the money for a gorilla one but still be able to drive it...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
as long as it does not leak oil i dont see y it wouldnt cause the fourwheel drive lock is in the front diff area

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you ever find out what was making the clicking noise .my started making that noise while I was in 2 wheel drive I stop felt the front axles they were tight so I put it in 4 wheel and move ahead then the noise stop . put it back in 2 wheel and it was fine for a while .I only made it one other time then stop by it self.what do you guys think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts