John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, any ideas on adding weight to the front of a 6x4 to help steering. Are their weight kits or is it a wing it sort of effort. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,044 Posts
Hey folks, any ideas on adding weight to the front of a 6x4 to help steering. Are their weight kits or is it a wing it sort of effort. Thanks in advance
I believe most owners start out by adding a front hitch receiver - check online at Green Farm Parts. From there check out Heavy Hitch also online. With this setup you can use suitcase type lawn tractor type weights to find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe most owners start out by adding a front hitch receiver - check online at Green Farm Parts. From there check out Heavy Hitch also online. With this setup you can use suitcase type lawn tractor type weights to find the sweet spot.
Yea I figured something like that......thx for the reply

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never seen a bracket made for a gator. That being said, with some scrap steel and a welder, no reason that you cant make this work.

John Deere Front Quick-Tach Weight Bracket - BM20957

then you can hang these cute little guys...

Amazon.com: John Deere Original Equipment Weight #BG20029: Garden & Outdoor

Just one question... how much weight are you hauling that you need front weight?
No weight other than my fat-ol-self. I just got this and was playing around and went on a little bushwhack and seemed that over bumpy rough terrain going up hill even slightly I lose control of the front wheels. Like their off the ground

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe 20lbs. That's a good point I filled to "inflate to" on side of tire and it did feel quite full.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK John Deere says 14lbs for front, makes sense.......thx for bringing it to my attention. I'll deflate and see how it handles. 6 lbs for a small tire is quite a bit......cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our 6x4 had the bumper/brush guard from the factory. It had a 1 1/4 receiver built into it. So on the receiver hitch I set a 16x8x4 concrete cap block and strapped it on tightly. That's all that was needed to keep the frond end down when going up trails with a load on stones or firewood. It really helped with steering, esp. on snow or icy conditions. I have saved the fenders, grill and hood soooo many times because of that brush guard. I'd highly recommend the unit.

BTW, I keep cleated chains on the fronts year around to help with the steering since the rig never sees hard surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts