John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 835 M has 5500 miles on it. I have now just went through my 4th set front of tires. I took it to an alignment shop and they said it was good on alignment. It seems to wear the right front more than the right front. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What did they check when they did the alignment? 2 or 4 wheel alignment?

Can you post the results of the alignment?

Have you checked your linkages and wheel bearing for play?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did they check when they did the alignment? 2 or 4 wheel alignment?

Can you post the results of the alignment?

Have you checked your linkages and wheel bearing for play?
They did a 4 wheel and said all was ok, i will check the front end for play. Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
While your checking suspension for wear, also check to make certain the wheel or hub is not bent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While your checking suspension for wear, also check to make certain the wheel or hub is not bent.
I looked at that before and never noticed anything, i also traded sides with the wheels so see if there were and changes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Carlisle's are not very good and wear extremely fast as do most soft compound 2 ply's, get a good set 6 or 8ply radials. what are you running now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carlisle's are not very good and wear extremely fast as do most soft compound 2 ply's, get a good set 6 or 8ply radials. what are you running now?
i have been running cheapo's until i get the front end situation figured out.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
What type of road surface are you running on ? Gravel, asphalt, trails ? Also what brand, ply rating and tire pressure are you operating ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Week suspension springs will wear tires, as will running a lot of roads with cheap tires. I wore out a set of PXT's, Carlisle top of the line, in 600miles. I now have Maxxis ceros 6ply radials, 5500miles and still look good, and cheaper then the PXT's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 865R alignment was bad from the get-go. If the shop that did the work did not put it on a rack with the sensors mounted to all 4 wheels, it's probably not done right. Doing it by the chalk on the floor method is also not accurate. Our local Les Schwab did a good job on that and my 855D. When they entered the tolerances out of the Tech manual, the computer said "Geo Metro". So far, so good. Have at least 3000 on my street configuration and negligible wear. The Kanati Mongrels I use in the winter also show little wear for the 1000 miles I have on them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My 865R alignment was bad from the get-go. If the shop that did the work did not put it on a rack with the sensors mounted to all 4 wheels, it's probably not done right. Doing it by the chalk on the floor method is also not accurate. Our local Les Schwab did a good job on that and my 855D. When they entered the tolerances out of the Tech manual, the computer said "Geo Metro". So far, so good...
I suspected it wasn't done on modern equipment, when the OP couldn't post the print out of the alignment details. Saying it is OK and producing a document showing the measurements is not the same. Hearsay vs data.

It might be worth compensating for driver weight or the most frequently load configuration when doing the alignment.

Type of tire wear is usually a solid clue as to the alignment issue.

I hope the OP can get to the root cause of the situation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not that familiar with Deere but isn't the only thing that can be adjusted is the toe? no way to do camber and caster other than playing with springs and shocks? or bending parts. These ain't cars, it don't have to be that close.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The OP has a problem and the only way to solve is with data, so the root cause can be identified. From there it may or may not be difficult to fix, but that is something they will have to decide how deep they want to get into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What type of road surface are you running on ? Gravel, asphalt, trails ? Also what brand, ply rating and tire pressure are you operating ?
I am running on all three plus some extreme on the farm, i was only going to use chap tires until i got the issue resolved.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How bout a picture from the front showing both tires? Also jack up the front and see if you have and/or can tell if their is play in either the wheel bearings, a-arms, ball joints or tie rod linkage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts