John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all...I genuinely love my RSX850i but am completely frustrated by the lack of support, misinformation, and general lack of knowledge coming from JD and their dealer network about this machine. I apologize in advance for the length of this missive but I'm sure that some of you have encountered some of these issues.
1. The operator's manual has more errors in it than it should. I think JD just took the XUV550 manual and retitled it. Start with fuel capacity. The manual says 6.5 gallons. The correct level is 7.5 gallons. I had this verified by JD customer support.
2. The oil filter shown in the manual is an AM125424. Again incorrect. The right filter is an AM145365 and it took me 3 JD dealerships to find one. One never even heard of it. I order a soft camo top for my unit and the dealer gives me an XUV550 top. Yes it's the same size but a different camo color. I'll keep it. It works.
3. The oil level in the manual (and this is where I lost it) shows the crankcase with filter change to be 3.4 quarts. So at 8 hours after I finally get the right filter and oil, I do an oil change. I must admit that I didn't have the pan drain and filter issues I've seen in this forum. Got them right off. Filled the crankcase to 3.4 quarts and go to start the machine and it won't turn over and the oil pressure light is on. I pull the dipstick and it's obvious 3.4 is too much. The manual is wrong again. :confused:I drain the overage from the crankcase until the dipstick reads right on the full line. How much oil I took out, I don't know. I just kept draining it until I hit the full line. Tried starting it again and it still shows the oil pressure light and won't crank.

Can any of you more experienced owners shed some light on what may be happening here? I've gone thru all of the troubleshooting items and they're all in the green. Any suggestions? Anyone else go thru this after the 1st 8 hour change?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Although I am no help, this is a great thread. I took my new RSX out for its first real ride today and noticed some things amiss as well. The fuel gauge showed half a tank yet it only took 1.2 gallons to fill it up? That didn't seem correct for a machine that supposedly holds 7+ gal. It was also back down to half a tank after 11 miles of riding. I'm hoping my mileage gets better and the fuel gauge is more conservative towards the end of the tank.

It seems that after a few miles, I began having the shifter linkage problem some have complained about on here. I was still able to get the machine into low after some coaxing but the trans is definitely not aligned with the indicators aside the lever.

There are supposedly 2 different filters available for this machine although I'm not sure which one is better to have. The part number on my oem filter and the part number in my owners manual don't match up. I have yet to get the first 8 hrs on my machine therefore I am no help regard oil quantity.

After extensive reading online and talking to multiple dealers BEFORE purchasing it seems as if some dealers know more than others about this machine.

I hope you get it figured out ASAP and please keep us updates with your findings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hate to ask but are you holding the brake? It won't turn over otherwise. There is no reason for it not to just by draining and refilling the oil. Low, overfull or otherwise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake is depressed

The parking brake is depressed and emergency brake is on. I probably have about 20 starts on the machine in the same manner so I know that is not the issue. I have also cleaned out the air filter and inlets as recommended. Everything is as clean as new.

After leaving it alone overnight I try again this morning and still no luck. It tries to crank but won't turnover and now I'm concerned that repeated attempts will drain the battery. I know that it's getting juice or the display panel wouldn't light up. It started up fine right before the oil change so I could heat the oil to operating temp before the change as recommended. If it means anything, I am using the JD synthetic Plus-50 11 as recommended.

I agree that there is no reason for any of this to happen regardless of the oil level which is why I can't wrap my head around what the issue is. Since it is Sunday, I can't get a hold of any JD dealer in my area. Unless someone in this forum (maybe a dealer service adviser?) can pinpoint the issue there will be no riding today.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well the filter issue, John Deere sent out a kit to all owners of RSX's with the new correct filter, and stickers to put in the manuals and on the machine. Depending on when you bought it, it should have been shipped to your house. AM145365 is the correct filter. It should feel rough.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My unit was a 10/12 launch date unit. Built before the filter recall but my dealer had already switched the old filter out and replaced it with the AM145365 filter before my purchase but did not think to include the sticker in my manual or put it on the vehicle. I only found out about it after buying a an AM125424 filter from my dealer and finding it to be different than the filter already installed. Part of the confusion rests on JD's computer data base. Every dealer I spoke to showed me that the AM125424 filter is for this unit. When they pull up the AM154365 part number individually it showed it to be for this unit. JD really needs to edit their data base and remove the RSX850i from the AM125424 part number.

I bought the unit as a leftover 2 months ago and used the AM145365 filter in my oil change yesterday. It does feel rough and anyone contemplating changing it themselves needs to use a standard oil filter wrench as it has no dimples at the top and a cap wrench won't work on it.

Any clue as to what my post oil change start up issue might be? I've only owned the unit for 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That might be it. Thanks for the thought. I believe anything could be possible at this point. The battery does seem to be weakening after every start attempt. I see no corrosion on the terminals and its a 36 mo. battery but that may be it. Very coincidental if it is. It's still under warranty. Would a jump from a car battery be helpful or even advisable at this point to try? Don't want to do any damage to it. If I can't start it I can't get it to a JD dealer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A charger would be best, but you can jump start it just make sure you are hooked up right. John deere batteries are kind of hit and miss these days some last, some dont.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
iv changed my oil twice in my gator as i have swamped mine once and both time 3.4 qts has been dead on for my full mark.

·
Registered
483 Posts
John deere batteries are kind of hit and miss these days some last, some dont.
battery life is often determined how long they have sitting around without use. For a dealer, they may not be fast moving stock and not kept charged for extended periods and therefore life is shortened. Of course, short trips can do a number on batteries or sitting not in use in the Gator. It is good to keep a trickle charger on them if not run very long to charge back up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up a Schumacher battery charger today and charged the battery full. Nice charger by the way ($60 at Autozone). Unfortunately, even with a full charge it will not turn over. I'm guessing now that the oil change and whatever else is going on are coincidental events. Dealer thinks that as well.

Fortunately, I'm still under warranty but tomorrow it goes back to JD. Maybe they can figure it out. Dealer listened over the phone as I tried to start it and groaned. "That don't sound good". Yeah. Don't sound good is right. Keeping my fingers crossed now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I looked in the JD parts catalog and when I looked for the filter it specified AM145365. I wonder if some dealers use an CD-based versus online catalog or using some other quick reference that is out of date.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I got mine and it was over filled with oil from the factory (around 2 pts) if I went down a hill it would smoke real bad than die and would not turn over until it cooled down. It acted like is was trying to hydraulic and luckily I caught it and drained out the excess oil and that fixed the problem. Also my battery went bad after 3 months and the new Deere battery has more power.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you drain and fill the correct places? Im not trying to be offensive but its a dry sump motor and i watched our main cp tech grab the trans check on mine pull it out and say my engine oil is full.

The engine drain I'd inverted hex and trans is bolt like normal. Then the trans fill check it the yellow one that looks like an engine check on a car and the black res on side is engine oil.

Mines around 3.6 perfill. Mine is old build date but factory updated to new filter and put small sticker you can only see with bed up.

and the reason the parts is behind is specifically what was said above. There is a CD based version for dealers that is usually installed in a main server then split out to the parts department computers. The software only requires disk change every 6 months. Plus all disks the dealers get are 3 months old by the time they get here. So potentially 9 month old disks might not have the new filter.

The IT guy should change them monthly but if they're it guy is like ours, they lazy. The reason they don't use internet version is database loaded CD is way faster and reliable and the program is more user friendly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No offense taken. But yes, I did. To your point, anyone changing their own oil will need a 10mm allan wrench to remove the drain pan plug although I don't see that info anywhere in the manual.

I got my unit to my dealer on Tuesday 7/1 and after attempting to start it, he said he's "85% sure it's the starter". Of course, there were no starters in stock so he ordered one from Moline via UPS overnight. Didn't show up before the 4th so we're waiting for it to show up Monday. We'll see then. At least they're giving me priority since my unit is so new.

Your observation regarding JD parts data base is probably right on point. The JD support structure was the biggest reservation I had about purchasing the RSX. I had been reading similar posts here before I bought it. No doubt that if I bought a tractor They'd know everything about it.

Waiting to see what Monday brings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
engine won't crank

Hello:

I had the same problem with my first oil change, I over filled the crankcase and it would not crank, I had to pull the spark plugs and then it cranked over and blew the excess oil out, replaced plugs and it's been fine ever since.

kenner

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally Running

After taking my unit in to the dealer, they put on a new starter. The engine turned over and the unit would run but would not maintain a consistent idling RPM.

As kenner suggested, I asked them to pull the plugs which they did and replaced both of them but the idling problem persisted (thanks kenner for the suggestion, at least I got new plugs out of the deal).

It turns out that after replacing the starter and plugs error codes were coming up on the #1 coil and the ecu. They replaced the coil and ecu and now it seems to be running fine. While I'm glad that it's up and running I hope these issues are not a portend of other problems in the future once my warranty expires.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread. I know that I picked up a lot of useful information to file away. Keeping my fingers crossed from here on out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Appreciate the Forum and this post. Your calling out the 10MM Allen for the oil drain plug will save me a lot of time and frustration. THANK YOU.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts