John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 825 and ride in an an area that is huge...I Don't know how to explain How Huge...Logging roads all over ,Trails all over the Place.. Trees and such, kinda easy to get Lost...I find the further I explore-- 50 plus miles 1 way..I am asking people where in the Heck I am at....That is if someone is out there...few and far Between!!

Time to use Technology here...I have Looked at several GPS Devices and not to Jazzed at what is out there..I can do my own wiring to a 12 Volt/clean Voltage but still have not found what I want.....

Any Ideas

·
Registered
140 Posts
Look toward the back country snowmobile crowd. Try a sled forum there's probable a favorite GPS for them. I'd assume you'd want one that they like to use

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a Garmin one that I use in my car and when off road it is not really useful except to tell you the direction to go to get back to some point. What I did sorta find useful is that it is can tell you the paths you have been (like marking a trail) and can see a pseudo map of areas you have driven but the accuracy is like 10 to 25 feet (worse in dense woods)so as you go back and forth the "path" saved will not always be on top of the previous.

Maybe ones intended for hikers would be better but just not have looked at them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yea, in your case I would look at a GPS for which you can get topo maps. The usefulness of the usual street maps for autos is pretty limited in the bush. Unfortunately the hiking Garmins with big screens are ridiculously priced compared to the auto models. Hopefully the databases are interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
if you look on alot of the desert racing places they basically use the marine style GPS marking systems by lowrance and garmin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts