John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some work for somebody in payment for a 1996 6x4 that turns over but doesn't start. I got it home yesterday and was doing a look over on it and the spark plug is fouled and there's gas in the oil. Does anybody know what would cause that so I know where to start on repairing it? I was hoping it was just going to be an easy fix by replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the carb but once I seen this I got a little discouraged and have no idea where to start with this.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Bad needle and seat inside carb could be one reason

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
972 Posts
Yea, a flooding carburetor is a common cause of fuel in the oil. If the float needle valve leaks the fuel rises too high and runs down the intake and into the cylinder(s) then seeps past the rings and into the oil. Luckily it's a pretty common and simple thing to fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Someone may have flooded it and then just let it sit and all the gas slowly seeped into the oil pan, if it seems to run ok I would just change the oil and keep an eye on it and see if the gas returns to the oil again, regarding the fouled plugs I was just replace them and see what happens.

However...

If you have changed the plugs and the engine is still running really rough and you can smell gas coming out of the tail pipe there may be a problem with the carb that will need to be looked into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts