John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gator is over 10 years old- Battery appears to be charged- Lift works- Starter does not appear to be turning- No clicking noise from the solenoid- is there a fuse or a voltage regulator? Not even sure where the starter is any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I may have a similar problem. Getting to know the Diesel engine means a charged battery with clean cables and connections due to the power needed to compress the fuel for ignition. I recently tried to start my gator and after a few seconds of cranking, there was a click and then nothing.no dim lights to indicate a low battery..just nothing. I didn't have time to troubleshoot what was wrong but either assume an issue with the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch itself. If you have power for the lift check these switches and make sure you have new cables to transfer the power.

·
Registered
165 Posts
so disappointed with the lack of information

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the lack of helpful information on this site? I have to assume the majority of the people have a common bond with owning some model Gator but there is very little help when someone asks. I also had a difficult time trying to order a simple manual. I'm sure there are more people that are just as discouraged with trying to repair their gator without spending the money but where's the help???? I can purchase a used golf cart to do the tasks my 6x4 gator is needed for.....if 4 of the 6 tires would stay aired up after 56 cans of fix o flat and would start more often than when the sun is up or down and the wind blows SE or was it SW? sorry

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum Feedmetwinkies.

There is some helpful ppl on here that are around.

Gatorvirgin, sorry if you are disappointed in the site. The site is new and we are trying to grow and the more ppl we have and the more knowledge, it will get better. Also we are not affiliated with Deere and Company. Hopefully someone will chime in on this issue. If I had more knowledge on this, trust me, I would chime in.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
165 Posts
thanks for that information and I appologize for the venting but I've been so frustrated trying to find information for this 6x4 gator, even from the JohnDeere website. Apparently gators from the 90's are all but forgotten. I'll try to contribute information as I learn more myself, thanks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
No problem gatorvirgin, this is the place to vent and get help. Hopefully as we grow there will be info about the 6x4. I have a 6x4 diesel gator here at work. Have not had a whole lot of problems with the machine, other than fertilizer eating parts, LOL!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
back to the twinksters question

I'm still searching for a wiring diagram for my gator but from your post, you have the power to lift the bed so that rules out weak battery or voltage regulator. Kind of points toward the starter or solenoid. I'm also new to the Diesel engine so it may be possible you have the power to use the lift but a corroded cable or connection may prevent it from having the power to the engine to compress the fuel for combustion. good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
6x4 elec info

ok, even though no one may need help anymore, I'll throw some more info out there just in case. I found some elec diagrams for what looks like '93-98 6x4 diesel gators. key position in run, first click, you should get dash lights indicating power and probably everything electrical is good. key position turned to start, it starts and why are you reading this:)? it cranks slowly....check battery/connections....nothing....again check battery/connections/start relay/fuses or fusible links. starts but doesn't stay running....check ignition switch in run position, this keeps power to locking relay after ignition, or clogged fuel/air filters/oil pressure switch....OIL;).....for some excellent customer service finding a local supplier/manuals try JD Parts.com or [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts