John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum but have been browsing for some time. As stated above we have a 590i S4 and it will not shift out of 2WD and into 4WD or Diff lock. The cable is still intact and I followed it down to the back section of the front differential. I can’t get that lever to move despite a good soak in Kroil penetrating fluid. We rarely use the 4 WD option. Am I looking at a new part? If so what would you try first to “free it up”.
Auto part
Auto part
Auto part

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would try disconnecting the cable (if you haven't already) to ensure it isn't part of the problem. Disconnect and see if you can't move the lever with a block of wood and some leverage. I'm always a fan of some love taps with a hammer to loosen up seized parts as well (protect with some scrap wood when needed). In cases where it is safe, adding a little heat to expand the metal every so slightly does wonders in conjunction with a few taps - but I think you'll want to avoid flame in this area unless you take it out and bench it, clean it, etc. Hope this helps.

I hear you - you don't need the 4x much, but when you do, you do! Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you - you don't need the 4x much, but when you do, you do!
100% on that quote.
The cable is not the issue. With a little heat and hammering lightly on the lever, I was able to get it into 4WD. I will leave it in 4WD and work on getting it to work properly over time. It looks pretty time consuming to get it to the bench. Maybe this winter.
There is the right way, the wrong way, and the cowboy way.
This is more in the cowboy way for now👍🏼.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.