John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a popping sound intermitting from the front end, would like to know if it is the front axle, driveshaft etc.only occurs when in 4WD and if I go to 4WD Lock it works fine. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
I have a popping sound intermitting from the front end, would like to know if it is the front axle, driveshaft etc.only occurs when in 4WD and if I go to 4WD Lock it works fine. Thanks
I suspect you are experiencing a rather common condition that is referred to as “wedging”. I believe this is caused by the sprague carrier in the front differential being slightly off center - at times.

Deere recommends coming to a complete stop and backup several feet when disengaging 4WD, this helps re-center the sprague carrier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect you are experiencing a rather common condition that is referred to as “wedging”. I believe this is caused by the sprague carrier in the front differential being slightly off center - at times.

Deere recommends coming to a complete stop and backup several feet when disengaging 4WD, this helps re-center the sprague carrier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried it and it still has the popping sound, do you think I have problems in the differential, or what do you think I should do, wish it was as easy as repairing the clutch which you do a super job for me. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
It still has a very bad popping sound from the front end. Could it be the Carrier bearing.
Without looking at the parts diagrams, I hate to speculate any further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 590M S4, how do you adjust the linkage on the 4wd front differential cable. It slips and causes a popping sound in the differential now locking in properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts