John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a search saved on EBay for the electric lift kit for the dump bed on my 2000 6x4. This morning I got a notification of a new listing for the kit for $598. The listing says it is for a "direct replacement" of the OEM kit. Do any of you have any experience or opinions on using this instead of the OEM kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202891630612?ul_noapp=true

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You really need to take this up with the seller and perhaps understand what recourse you have if it is not a direct fit.

I hope someone here has experience with the kit you're inquiring about.

Good luck and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The lift cylinder is JD proprietary, and they're pretty rigid about not allowing their suppliers to sell to anyone else. That being said, maybe you found a source that's been able to get around their restrictions. I had to repair my lift cylinder a few years back, and was fortunate enough to get in contact with a sympathetic engineer at one of JD's suppliers. Here's what I found out:

John Deere BM20701 Dump Cylinder Specifications
======================================

Originally manufactured by Warner Electric, P/N D12-21B5-05JD.
Manufacturing rights are now held by Thompson Division of Danaher Motion.

Specifications:
Proprietary John Deere product
Referred to as a "B-actuator"
12.89" CPCD
5" stroke
1,500 lb. capacity
R0705 square nut drive
172 standard 0.125" ball bearings
Split return tube P/N 906-9070 (2 required)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased the above kit on eBay. The listing said there was a 30-day return period. I figured it was worth trying. I contacted the seller a couple of times before purchasing. He always responded quickly and was very helpful. After I installed it, I sent him a picture of the actuator to make sure I oriented it correctly. He replied with feedback that was very helpful.

I received the unit yesterday and installed it last night. The instructions were OK. There were a couple of places where the instructions were a little vague, but I was able to work through it. All of the wiring harness connections plugged in seamlessly. The only problem I had was there were supposed to be 2 nuts included to mount the relays to the frame. I did have to grind the bushing down just a bit in order for them to fit.

I haven't tried it with a load yet, but it seems to work well. If I run into any problems, I will update.

Ricky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a suggestion: as with many electrical add-ons, the typical practice is to connect the main power lines directly to the battery. If you own your machine long enough, the battery will leak and the accessory lines will corrode. I always connect my accessory ground to the engine block and the hot line to the starter post. Besides protecting your wiring, that also makes it a little easier to remove the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts