John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 2000 6x4 Gator. It hasn't been used much lately, so I'm dealing with some issues. The current issue I'm dealing with is the cooling fan will not come on. I used my tester and verified power to the fan. I used a jumper to bypass the fan control switch on the radiator and the fan came on. I'm assuming that means my control switch is bad since the water in the radiator was pretty hot. A couple of questions:

1) Where can I buy a new control switch?

2) I know the power to the fan is on all the time. Would I do any harm by bypassing the control switch and changing the circuit to switched? The fan would run whenever the key is on.

Thanks

Ricky

·
Registered
765 Posts
1. Any John Deere dealer should be able to provide. Check with some of the online supporters as they typically have competitive prices.

2. Running a fan full time. Suggest you evaluate alternator output at all rpms and electrical load. I'm concern the alternator can not support the fan running 100%.

Best solution would be to properly troubleshoot the current problem and fix. "Seems hot" is not adequate troubleshooting. Do you know what temperature the sensor should turn on? If not, I suggest you get the workshop manual so you have a clear understanding how it works and what the electrical circuit looks like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do it right and confirm your fan switch is or is not working properly. Pull it out and hook the leads up to an ohmmeter, put it in a pot of water, heat the water and at 190* you should see ~0 ohms. If it opens at 190* you're good to go. If it doesn't just about any radiator mount sensor switches will work for you. ebay is your friend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably not much use as an answer, but had a similar problem on my HPX diesel. After the initial sticker shock for an OE replacement, I decided to check around, assuming JD didn't have a new switch designed just for them. Turns out my switch was for a motorcycle (I believe a Suzuki). At $9.00 delivered, it was easier to replace the switch than test the old one. The new switch fixed the problem.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Does the OP want to comment on how they resolved their issue?

·
Registered
765 Posts
It seems that way.

It would be of tremendous value to the forum if the original posters made the effort to close the post by stating the details of the outcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts