John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I’m getting gas in the carankcase, oil level rises pretty fast. Based on posts
Pointing to gas pushing past the carb seat, I put a fuel cutoff in the line. Well, no change, changed oil, still have gas getting in..I found a post somewhere from a guy that had water seeping in from the water pump. This is now my focus. This guy pulled his engine and did a partial rebuild.. what I need to know is, can the pump be removed without pulling the engine. If the engine has to come out,
How involved is it? I have the Deere manual, all it says is, disconnect everything and pull it out the left side..Like, where are the mounting bolts, etc. thanks to all who answer

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I’m confused after reading post.
1. gas leaking into engine and state likely carb seat so you put in fuel cutoff. Why not replace the needle and seat?
2. Fuel in oil so you replacing water pump??? Not certain I’m following your logic here.

What manual are you referring too?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The John Deere gator vehicles technical manual. Apparently water can seep past the gaskets on the water pump and enter the crankcase.

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
The John Deere gator vehicles technical manual. Apparently water can seep past the gaskets on the water pump and enter the crankcase.
Have you verified the soundness of the mechanical seal and mating surfaces ?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The OP clearly stated Gas was in the oil. It Is very easy to tell the difference between gas or water contaminated oil.

Changing the water pump to fix a fuel dilution problem is like changing gear lube because a tire is flat.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
843 Posts
Don't just go taking things apart because you saw something on the Internet. Smell the oil. Does it smell like gas or coolant?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First determine if it is gas or water. Gas will make the oil thin and smell like gas. The water will make it milky and foamy if you run it. 2 different problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve ordered a new carburetor. The current carb has a yellow wire running to something threaded into the side of the carb. Does anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's probably an anti-afterfire solenoid. When you turn off the engine it instantly kills the ignition but engine's inertia means it still turns for a while drawing air through the carb and may fire a few times after you turn it off. The solenoid has a needle that goes into the main jet and cuts off the fuel at the same time as the ignition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts