John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rectangle headlight 6x4 gator that won't crank when the key is turned to start. I have been able to get it to turn over by hitting the starter relay and it will crank. I have tried another relay with the same results, is it possible it's not getting enough power to close the relay contacts? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this relay? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's looking like the switched power wire is corroded somewhere. I am only getting 11.5v at the yellow wire without the diode when the key is on and 12.5v at the red wire on the relay. I jumped a wire from the yellow to the red and it starts by the key, so the relay is good, just need to find where that wire is bad.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Do a voltage drop test along the conductor while under load and it will be obvious where the issue is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had forgotten to unhook my jumper and went back out and the battery was dead. Charged the battery and it's working now but there is about .5V drop in that yellow wire from the key to the relay.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Break the circuit down and measure voltage drop at each junction.

Example: put meter lead on Crimp terminal and the other on the wire. With the circuit energized it should be zero. Repeat along the circuit - wire end to wire end, wire to crimp terminal, crimp terminal to post, etc… ideally the voltage drop is zero. May need to use the mV scale.

0.5 volt drop is a lot.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
*In memory and respect- RIP*
4,314 Posts
This may be academic to you guys that are mechanics, but I put a $25 Starter Improvement Relay that I bought on eBay that solved my no-crank problem on my old gator.
Please start a new thread, your question might be overlooked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A 0.5 to 1.0 volt loss should not affect it starting or not.

I have the 2001 Diesel 6x4, it sat for a long time because no one knew what to do with it but as it turned out there were two bad wires in the wiring harness that goes down through the frame under the floor, one of these was the power feed that goes to the ignition switch which was causing it to only get 2-ish volts, I had to cut it off and ran a new wire through the frame and then the switch had 12 volts again and it started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts