John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an inertia shut off on a 2012 JD Gator 825i for the fuel pump? The dealer had my Gator in for a warranty replacement of a cv axle and when they attempted to drop it off the fuel pump wouldn't kick on :eek: The delivery guy had just started it to drive it up on the trailer...everything was working great, then he drove approx 12 miles to drop it off at my home and it wouldn't start. When the key is cycled on the fuel pump never kicked on at all, they took the Gator back to the shop to look at it again but I'm curious for my own sake if I haul the Gator a long ways for a trail ride and it does the same thing I want to know what to look for.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No inertia sw on fuel pump. The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU. The ECU will only drive the fuel pump during cranking and normal operation. If a serious engine malfunction is detected, the ECU will remove power to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I got it back this afternoon....the dealer said there was a small amount of water in the fuel causing the pump not to run. Doesn't make sense to me but I guess it doesn't have to, I don't understand why the pump would have at least had a short duration hum where the pump was trying to pull fuel.:confused:

I guess the important part is I got it back and it's running.:D Now as long as it starts when I need to plow the snow tomorrow morning when it's 15 below zero I'll be happy.:)

Thanks for the info on the intertia switch xcopterdoc...I couldn't find mention of it in the owner's manual but figured it would have made sense where it started fine less than 20 minutes before delivery and it wouldn't start when they got to my home.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well I got it back this afternoon....the dealer said there was a small amount of water in the fuel causing the pump not to run. Doesn't make sense to me but I guess it doesn't have to, I don't understand why the pump would have at least had a short duration hum where the pump was trying to pull fuel.:confused:
So is there any remedy if one gets stuck out somewhere to purge the water?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is there any remedy if one gets stuck out somewhere to purge the water?

Not sure....possibly line deicer??? To fix it they brought it in their heated shop....after it was thawed they drained the fuel and added new fuel and added dry gas to it. They recommended using dry gas with the fuel....I've always used marine Stabil (blue stuff for ethanol) but I never added any dry gas in my Gator or anything else...I'm not sure that there wasn't something else to it because I really would have expected even with an iced up line that the pump would have made some noise and this didn't make anything...no click....no hum....nothing. I'm not sure if it was a silly mistake on their end that they would have told me or not. I was just happy it was fixed for the storm we had last night/today.:D

All my snow removal machines have broken down in the past week.....the Gator lost the CV axle and had the no start condition.....my International 2544 lost it's starter which I just got back from the rebuild shop this evening so I'll put that back in tomorrow and the Kubota BX had a fuel filter problem and then the battery gave up this morning. It's been an expensive week and it's been mighty cold wrenching on them in the below zero temps.:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it's worth, we've had a few 825i gators through the shop that have had the fuel pumps stop. On each, it was the fuel pump connector that is in the battery area under the passenger seat. I've disconnected and reconnected and they come to life. Seemed that it was happening on earlier models.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Is the theory the connection is the issue and reseating it fixes the issue?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Adding HEET to your fuel when it's super cold is a pretty good idea. I did that to my gator last night in prep for the huge snow storm hitting our area. Marine stabil is a good idea, but all it does it attach itself to any ethanol molecules in the fuel as well as stabilize the fuel. It does not have a water bonding agent like HEET does!

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my experience ( I believe it was on three machines) it was just a bad connection. Pulled it apart. Checked that the pins were straight. Reconnected and away it went. Haven't seen this on the 2013's as far as I recall.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts