John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought brand new. Went out riding with 4 other buddies (1 another XUV owner, but not a JD). I did what they did, whatever mud holes they hit, etc. Their bikes didn't have any issues, but mine immediately started smoking and making a knocking noise. I get it back to the dealer and they analyze an oil sample. Said there is water, dirt, anti-freeze, and other additives in the oil. They said the air intake was the point of entry. Why did JD put the intake under the passenger seat???:confused:
Warranty would not cover the new engine. Out over $3,000...:mad:
I got the engine replaced and immediately went to my home improvement store and picked up some 1 1/2" black PVC pipe and relocated the air intake to above the passenger's seat. Now it's completely air tight. Rode great for a few months. Last month was riding and went through a few inches of mud/water while I was following another XUV owner. My Gator dies and I have to get it towed back to my trailer. This time the engine is leaking oil behind the alternator cover (not sure where). I get it back to the dealer and they do another oil sample. Same thing this time, they are saying there is water, dirt, etc. in the oil. Problem is that they can't find any evidence of how it got into my engine. They originally said it could've come through the front seal...but then back tracked when they realized that would make it covered under warranty. They are stating that since there is additives in the oil, it's my responsibility to pay for ANOTHER engine!?!?! :mad:
ANYONE ELSE HAD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS?

Oh, and in less than one year I've also had the following replaced under warranty:
Starter
Water Pump
Alternator
Front-Right Drive Shaft
Fuel Throttle Body Assembly
Bearings for Alternator

Can you say LEMON?

Thanks,

Never Buying a John Deere Gator AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess there is nothing cheap anymore... I wonder how hard it is to actually put a small motor like that in..Doesnt seem like there could be much to it..

Im still in awe over the 3 grand....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like your dealer doesn't want to see you any more. If the front main seal was the point of entry the second time, there should be signs of oil leakage too. Whether its a double lip seal or not.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree with Duramax. Something sounds fishy with the dealer. I agree you have had nothing but problems and might be a lemon, but man. I have had nothing but good luck with my gators and my dealer. I am sorry to hear this, maybe you should contact John Deere corporate and cut out the middle man, aka the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil was leaking the 2nd time

Sounds like your dealer doesn't want to see you any more. If the front main seal was the point of entry the second time, there should be signs of oil leakage too. Whether its a double lip seal or not.
The engine was leaking oil horribly, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. The dealer didn't do any inspection to determine the source, they immediately jumped to submitting an oil scan and then once the results were in said that John Deere wouldn't cover the warranty.
Something to note, it wouldn't leak the oil until the engine heated up. So it wasn't easy to find the source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3rd engine

The problem with the 825 eng is that it is a 3cyl Chinese car engine. I have 2 friends with 825's. From the 2nd day one has to be started with ether the other takes about 10-15 seconds of cranking before it starts.Both were bought new, also if the dealer charged you for the top, well you should have told him to take it off. Did you buy the gator on a credit card? If so just charge it back. You will be surprised at how quickly the dealer becomes helpful. The best gator is the v twin, also much cheaper than the **** engine 825.

I have a Kawasaki Mule, Case Scout and base JD Gator. The mule is tough but very poorly engineered to work on. Scout is easy to work on and a much smoother ride.Gator is tough but rough ride.

Also one of the 825's had to have injection changed at less than 20hrs, before that, it really took along time to start.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Part of the reason for a 3,000 dollar engine replacement is because when they ship a new engine, it comes with EVERYTHING including, exhaust manifolds, alternator, new computer, etc... It's not just a basic engine that the dealer has to swap everything over.

But those problems sounds NOT FUN! WE haven't had to do any engine replacements here. They seem to be hold up to what our customers are doing to them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts