John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members: I discovered this forum some time ago and I will let my first post serve as an introduction and perhaps help me decide what to do with my Gator. My screen name is cebceb and I live in Middle Tennessee. I am a retired Engineer and am not a mechanic. This post is likely too long, but I wanted to offer a little background. Thanks.
After living all of my adult life in or near large cities, in 2014 I purchased a small house with several acres of land in a rural area of Middle Tennessee. The previous owner had been keeping about 6 or 7 Acres cleared and the balance of the property is woods.
My initial idea was to try to maintain the property in the same manner as the previous owner and went to the closest John Deere dealer and bought a Gator XUV 825i and a tow behind mower from another dealer. Now I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I did not do any homework or study before buying the 825i Gator and believed I could trust the John Deere Brand. My trust in John Deere turned out to be a big mistake. This 825i has had shifting problems from the very beginning. I bought an extended warranty with the Gator and the Dealer claimed they corrected the problem after two visits to the shop. But… the problem was never corrected. After the warranty expired, I went back to the dealer again and was told they could correct the shifting issue for about $600. I told them the problem started when the Gator was under warranty and it should be corrected at no cost to me. They claimed the best they could do was split the cost three ways with John Deere paying $200, the Dealer $200, and $200 for me. So, I paid them $200 and still have the same shifting problem.
At some point during this 6-year time period, I called the John Deere headquarters and much to my surprise received a return call from someone claiming to be a manager. This manager told me that they had a problem earlier with the 825i but not in my series. He told me it was those Gators with a number less than 80,000. He claimed those above 80,000 had been redesigned. My Gator was in the 87,000 series and I told him I was having major shifting problems. He claimed that although my Gator was out of warranty the dealer would likely take care of the problem. The dealer will not do anything for me at this time.
After I discovered this forum, I found that many members were having the same issue with the primary clutch. How do I get in touch with MBDiagMan? I am not a mechanic and my only grandson who has been helping me is now off to College. I think I have found a mechanic that will remove and reinstall the clutch.
I would very much like to keep the Gator if I can get this clutch issue corrected.
Thanks in advance.
cebceb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry but I forgot that I have posted something several years ago, so this is not my first post. A senior moment sometimes happens.
cebceb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Members: I discovered this forum some time ago and I will let my first post serve as an introduction and perhaps help me decide what to do with my Gator. My screen name is cebceb and I live in Middle Tennessee. I am a retired Engineer and am not a mechanic. This post is likely too long, but I wanted to offer a little background. Thanks.
After living all of my adult life in or near large cities, in 2014 I purchased a small house with several acres of land in a rural area of Middle Tennessee. The previous owner had been keeping about 6 or 7 Acres cleared and the balance of the property is woods.
My initial idea was to try to maintain the property in the same manner as the previous owner and went to the closest John Deere dealer and bought a Gator XUV 825i and a tow behind mower from another dealer. Now I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I did not do any homework or study before buying the 825i Gator and believed I could trust the John Deere Brand. My trust in John Deere turned out to be a big mistake. This 825i has had shifting problems from the very beginning. I bought an extended warranty with the Gator and the Dealer claimed they corrected the problem after two visits to the shop. But… the problem was never corrected. After the warranty expired, I went back to the dealer again and was told they could correct the shifting issue for about $600. I told them the problem started when the Gator was under warranty and it should be corrected at no cost to me. They claimed the best they could do was split the cost three ways with John Deere paying $200, the Dealer $200, and $200 for me. So, I paid them $200 and still have the same shifting problem.
At some point during this 6-year time period, I called the John Deere headquarters and much to my surprise received a return call from someone claiming to be a manager. This manager told me that they had a problem earlier with the 825i but not in my series. He told me it was those Gators with a number less than 80,000. He claimed those above 80,000 had been redesigned. My Gator was in the 87,000 series and I told him I was having major shifting problems. He claimed that although my Gator was out of warranty the dealer would likely take care of the problem. The dealer will not do anything for me at this time.
After I discovered this forum, I found that many members were having the same issue with the primary clutch. How do I get in touch with MBDiagMan? I am not a mechanic and my only grandson who has been helping me is now off to College. I think I have found a mechanic that will remove and reinstall the clutch.
I would very much like to keep the Gator if I can get this clutch issue corrected.
Thanks in advance.
cebceb
Welcome back CEBCEB- I'm new - live in NE AL, on a little cattle farm, just joined today. Having almost identical experience with my 590 Gator (actually my wife's :). Hard to shift when delivered, only got worse - finally couldn't get it in or out of gear at 21 hours, but a little over a year old. Local JD dealer finally agreed to repair under warranty - they would cover parts, but sent me a $400 bill for the labor - driver couldn't get it into gear to get it off the truck when they brought it back from repair... so it went back for a second time. After another couple of weeks - we got it back and it worked good for about a week... and has slowly gotten worse until another 20 hours later it won't go in or out of gear without turning the engine off.

Long story short - I ended up here on the forum looking for the magical but elusive Clutch Doctor or MBDiagMan. You can search for JD Clutch Doc or MBDiagMan in the “ Search Community “ box there's a lot of posts with repair and contact info - I'm guessing but it looks like 2 different guys - both highly regarded here. Hoping to hear from one of them soon.

Good luck with your Gator.
Best regards,
WBP

·
Super Moderator
3,034 Posts
Welcome back CEBCEB- I'm new - live in NE AL, on a little cattle farm, just joined today. Having almost identical experience with my 590 Gator (actually my wife's :). Hard to shift when delivered, only got worse - finally couldn't get it in or out of gear at 21 hours, but a little over a year old. Local JD dealer finally agreed to repair under warranty - they would cover parts, but sent me a $400 bill for the labor - driver couldn't get it into gear to get it off the truck when they brought it back from repair... so it went back for a second time. After another couple of weeks - we got it back and it worked good for about a week... and has slowly gotten worse until another 20 hours later it won't go in or out of gear without turning the engine off.

Long story short - I ended up here on the forum looking for the magical but elusive Clutch Doctor or MBDiagMan. You can search for JD Clutch Doc or MBDiagMan in the “ Search Community “ box there's a lot of posts with repair and contact info - I'm guessing but it looks like 2 different guys - both highly regarded here. Hoping to hear from one of them soon.

Best regards,
WBP

Best regards,
WBP
JD Clutch Doc can be contacted through email at [email protected]. FYI myself, MBDiagman are JD Clutch Doc, we are often referred to as the Clutch Doc as well.

Reactions: cebceb

·
Super Moderator
3,034 Posts
Thanks in advance.
cebceb
Please contact JD Clutch Doc through email at [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JD Clutch Doc can be contacted through email at [email protected]. FYI myself, MBDiagman are JD Clutch Doc, we are often referred to as the Clutch Doc as well.
Thank you Bradhill for getting back to me. I have read many of the various posts concerning the clutch issues with the 825i Gator. I recall reading at some point that the success rate for the repair or tuning was 100%. I will send an email to the above address and let you explain the process to me. Thanks!!
cebceb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Thanks in advance.
cebceb
Thanks in advance.
cebceb
Hello cebceb

I too had the problem. Deere replaced the clutch. 6 years look later same issue. When I cant change gears I turn it off and go back to neutral. That is the only way I can change gears

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had similar issues to yours with my 825i. I was close to selling my Gator. As a last ditch effort I contacted MBDiagMan via Bradhill. I mailed MBDiagMan my clutch and a check for a very reasonable amount. 6 days later I received my clutch back and installed it in my Gator. That was over 2 years ago and the clutch and Gator are still working flawlessly and a pleasure to drive. Like you I am not a mechanic but there are several good videos on YouTube to assist you with removing your clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Hello cebceb

I too had the problem. Deere replaced the clutch. 6 years look later same issue. When I cant change gears I turn it off and go back to neutral. That is the only way I can change gears
Hello Davey:
Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I have to do. Yesterday I just went out for a short ride and when I returned I had to back up to prepare to go into my garage. When I tried to get out of reverse the shift lever would not move. Had to shut it down go to N and restart to go forward into the garage.
When Deere replaced the clutch, did you get 6 years without any problems? Please let me know.
Thanks, cebceb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had similar issues to yours with my 825i. I was close to selling my Gator. As a last ditch effort I contacted MBDiagMan via Bradhill. I mailed MBDiagMan my clutch and a check for a very reasonable amount. 6 days later I received my clutch back and installed it in my Gator. That was over 2 years ago and the clutch and Gator are still working flawlessly and a pleasure to drive. Like you I am not a mechanic but there are several good videos on YouTube to assist you with removing your clutch.
Hello hog74: Thanks for your reply. I did look at a couple of videos on youtube, but due to some health issues I just cannot remove the primary clutch by myself. My only grandson is willing to help me, but he is trying to finish up his last year in college right now. He is at a Texas college and I live in Tennessee. So...don't know when he might be available to help.
Where did you get the special tool to pull the clutch? Please let me know.
Thanks, cebceb
P.s. Did you remove the clutch by yourself or have some help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Best regards,
WBP
Hello WBP: Good to hear from you...thanks. Have you made any decision yet on getting the shifting issue corrected for your Gator. I am somewhat embarrassed that I did not do my homework before buying the Gator. I thought I could trust the John Deere brand, but that was a big mistake. The sad thing is the JD dealer and service department have know about this problem for years. Good luck and please stay in touch.
Thanks, cebceb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I made a tool using some instructions found on this forum. I don’t remember the details but it was a specific size bolt and I made a shaft from a smaller size bolt. I also had to buy an inexpensive impact wrench. I removed the clutch by myself. It was not difficult. Removing the shroud took the most time. There is a lot of screws. But getting my Gator back to working condition was worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made a tool using some instructions found on this forum. I don’t remember the details but it was a specific size bolt and I made a shaft from a smaller size bolt. I also had to buy an inexpensive impact wrench. I removed the clutch by myself. It was not difficult. Removing the shroud took the most time. There is a lot of screws. But getting my Gator back to working condition was worth it.
You said removing the shroud took the most time. Are you talking about the big black plastic cover directly over the clutches? I looked and saw a lot of screws holding that black cover. At least 10 as I recall. I am not a mechanic and know very little the proper terms to use.
Thanks, cebceb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. I call it a shroud but it’s the black cover over the clutches. There are a lot of screws holding it on but there are videos on YouTube showing where they are located. I was like you very frustrated with my Gator but once I got the clutch fixed by MBDiagman I love driving it again. I am an electrical engineer by trade and know very little about mechanical issues but if you do some reading on this forum and watch the related videos it is not such a scary issue to tackle. I am still amazed that MBDiagMan can correct something that John Deere can’t. But he can!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. I call it a shroud but it’s the black cover over the clutches. There are a lot of screws holding it on but there are videos on YouTube showing where they are located. I was like you very frustrated with my Gator but once I got the clutch fixed by MBDiagman I love driving it again. I am an electrical engineer by trade and know very little about mechanical issues but if you do some reading on this forum and watch the related videos it is not such a scary issue to tackle. I am still amazed that MBDiagMan can correct something that John Deere can’t. But he can!
Thanks for getting back to me. I just called a young guy that lives near me and he says his mechanic will likely be willing to come to my house and pull the clutch for me. Your comments have encouraged me to send the clutch off to MBDiagMan. Now my next step is to find the tool necessary to remove the clutch.
By the way, what year model is your 825i?
Thanks again for your advice.
cebceb

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I just called a young guy that lives near me and he says his mechanic will likely be willing to come to my house and pull the clutch for me. Your comments have encouraged me to send the clutch off to MBDiagMan. Now my next step is to find the tool necessary to remove the clutch.
By the way, what year model is your 825i?
Thanks again for your advice.

cebceb
Perhaps this thread might help with the tool. But it all depends on what SN your machine is. If an older (lower SN) you can make one as outlined in the link below. Otherwise need to purchase from JD and maybe others.

Tool

Good luck!

Reactions: cebceb

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Gator is a 2012 model. Even if you have to buy the tool from John Deere it is worth it to get your Gator working properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perhaps this thread might help with the tool. But it all depends on what SN your machine is. If an older (lower SN) you can make one as outlined in the link below. Otherwise need to purchase from JD and maybe others.

Tool

Good luck!
My serial number is just over 87,400, so it looks like I need part JDG11200. The JD headquarters told me that the problem had been corrected for Gators with SN over 80,000. NOT TRUE!! I just don't understand why a company like John Deere just cannot be honest with their customers? Who knows??
This is a great forum and I much appreciate your help.
Thanks, cebceb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Gator is a 2012 model. Even if you have to buy the tool from John Deere it is worth it to get your Gator working properly.
Thanks for your response. I agree about buying the tool and I do like the Gator. What really troubles me , for example, is your Gator is a 2012 and mine is a 2014 and JD, the Dealer, and the Service Dept all knew about the shifting problem and concealed it from buyers like me who trusted the brand.

Thanks for you help.
cebceb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi

Hello cebceb

Hi Davey: When you have a chance let me know if my understanding is correct that you got 6 years using the clutch that JD replaced for you.
It seems as if most on this forum continue to have issues even when JD replaced the clutch.
Thanks,
cebceb

1 - 20 of 32 Posts