John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Gator 825I Starting troubles: Of recent, starts when cold or having sat overnight. Once it has warmed up, does not start. Acts just like it is in gear, nothing happens. It is neutral and the neutral circuit is fine. So when it does not start, nothing is happening in the starter circuit, no clicking of a solenoid, no sign of a low battery, just like it’s an open circuit. Once it cools all the way down, after a several tries, it starts as if nothing is wrong. I've been told by JD James River Eqpt it could be the Ignition Coil(s) but that circuit is post starting so that puzzles me. I have had some sputtering when topped out on the road so figured the Ignition Coils/Plugs could contribute to that, but shouldn’t have anything to do with the starting circuit.

Here is the interesting part. Coincidentally, when it does not start, after cooling down, I can engage the winch, in or out, doesn’t matter, and it will start, not every time, but occasionally.

I have some corrosion on the neg post of the battery which I will clean today and double check all connections. Just a very inconsistent weird scenario that is a typical ground/connection sounding problem.

Starter, when it fires, is perfect, no clicking, and no clanking, perfect.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

dcr

·
Registered
483 Posts
When you try to start and does not, do you have power at the starter?

Can you jumper to the starter from the battery to bypass everything?

If the ignition coil was bad it would crank but not start.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Use a digital voltmeter to do a voltage drop test. Put the meter across every component of the starter circuit and observe the meter while turning the key to start. When you find the component across which you measure more than a few tenths of a volt, that is the resistance in the circuit and is your problem. The only place where you should drop more than a few tenths is the motor itself.

A likely culprit is the solenoid mounted to the side of the starter motor. With your meter leads across it, if it is indicating more than a few tenths of a volt when the key is turned, it is your problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the exact same thing going on with my 850D. Just about sure at this point that it's the lead on the solenoid . "So for right now I hooked up a remote starting button & have not had a not start issue yet. If this keeps up I'll clean up the connection & see what happens."

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you havent resolved the problem yet , after it warms up and wont start , if you can reach the starter with a bar and are able to tap on it see if it starts. Some times the brushes in the starter will get dirty and fail to make contact , a tap on the starter will jar them enough to allow it to start. Had this exact problem with my pick up. Luckly not with my Gator. Hope this helps you locate the problem. avdks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Tapping on the starter also can loosen a sticky solenoid. Often when a starter clicks, but doesn't turn the engine, it is the solenoid sticking. When this starts happening it usually takes a new solenoid rather than cleaning the old one. Unfortunately the solenoid is often unavailable separately for these small engines, requiring the purchase of an entire starter. I read on here not long ago a post by someone who had removed an 825i starter and said that it was terribly cheap built, not to indicate that it is inexpensive to buy from Deere.

Never buy a new starter without verifying that it is your problem. The voltage drop test I described earlier is a relatively simple way to determine if the starter or solenoid is bad before blindly throwing parts at the problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the exact same thing going on with my 850D. Just about sure at this point that it's the lead on the solenoid . "So for right now I hooked up a remote starting button & have not had a not start issue yet. If this keeps up I'll clean up the connection & see what happens."
After several days of the starter button never failing, I've cleaned & filed the connection for the starter solenoid. SO far there has not been another failure :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts