John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 835 for about a month or so now and have noticed the air filter gets very dirty really fast so I came up with a solution that works very well. I rerouted the intake hose to draw air from the storage box under the passenger seat. The intake normally point rear facing and you can take the air cleaner off and turn the end where the air comes out. It turns kinda tuff but not to hard and kind of makes a ratchet noise when you turn it. You need to turn it so the intake side faces forward. Then I used about a foot of two inch vacuum hose and run it above the battery to the under seat storage box and plumed it in and put a 90 degree elbow so it faces up and nothing will cover it. You can just barely hear the noise from it when cruising down the road and I’ll probably never have to change the air filter again. https://imgur.com/a/Vfg0RL1.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,974 Posts
Great idea!

Photo link seems to be bad?

·
Super Moderator
2,974 Posts
Thanks for the photos, you might also consider placing a “prefilter” over the Air Filter?

I use Outerwears on my 825i

https://www.outerwears.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too, have a very dirty air filter on my 835 M after just a couple of hours of operation on any kind of trail. Gravel roads literally plug it up immediately. I have two air filters. I pull the dirty one out. Clean up the inside of the air box. Drop a clean one in and go. I blow the dirty one out and put it on the shelf for next time. So, I am very interested in this modification. I do have a concern, though , about getting enough air flow through the modification pipe to run the engine properly. First of all, because the intake is now located in a mostly enclosed compartment, I am concerned about the engine struggling to get air supply. Secondly, because the 90 deg elbow is facing up I envision it as being very close to the seat bottom, further restricting air flow. I suppose one could drill several hole in the storage bin to increase air flow, but that could get sloppy and muddy on a rainy day...maybe. Are my concerns founded ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It gets plenty of air under there. The bin is not air tight. I used two inch pipe just like the inlet on the air cleaner box. I put a frog skin filter over the end of the 90 and it’s probably an inch or so below seat bottom. I’ve run mine pretty hard for probably 15-20 hrs like this and had no problems. Up and down plenty of gravel roads and the air filter looks like new still.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First thing I did!! works great! Our trails are pure talcum powder sadly! But the re-route looks like a good winter project! JOHN DEERE are you seeing this?????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think the only dust I am getting in my air filter now after I rerouted it is coming from the rubber dust valve and it’s very little. I might just put a 2” rubber cap over it now because no dust collects in the filter housing anyway. I put a little pre filter (frogskinz) over the intake tube in the cab and you can just wipe a little dust off of it once and a while. You could just get a little 2” stretchy outerwears cover and put over it also if you wanted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the great ideas! I have thought about pulling from under the passenger seat. Has anyone had issues with the belt? I find the same thing is happening with snow on that side as well. Thanks once again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree. The air intake is right in front of the rear tire and literally almost gets clogged instantly. Hard to imagine why/how they thought this was a good idea. Even just running a hose/intake duct higher on the overhead guard would help immensely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts