John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone first post here.Site looks good.

My first question is I am looking for a strictly work UTV and have been leaning towards the JD.I have Polaris ATV's and am happy.Speed is of no issue but power is.Mostly used to get around property and cutting firewood where I canot get with the tractor and trailer.Winch will be first accessory.I may use t in the future to plow my 500 foot driveway when I have it paved so that my pickup does not tear up the pavement.So some sort of cab may be needed.Can anybody give any pros and cons over other brands ? I do like the diesel clutch change to lower rpms....Thanks Ed

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
if u r looking at strickly work then id say either the 855 diesel gator or the 825 with the 3 cylinder cherry engine. both r great machines with plenty of power no really the best on speed but will work for as long as you r willing too. can get the 825i with power steering and power dump bed (cause who really wants to have to dump a heavy bed by hand?) haha both come with many many many options a which is one of them and it is made by Warn so it is a very good brand. JD has a solid machine with both these machines. being in parts i can say that they r very rarely worked on other than maintence and has great towing power hope this helps you out

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!

I agree with marcust90's post.

The only other UTVs I would consider is the Polaris Ranger 800 & 900XP. The Gator 825i is more comparable to the Ranger 800.

Personally I would go with one of those two Gators that Marcust90 recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.I am definitely wanting a gas engine since I have alot more experience with gas.Speed is of not a problem like most everybody is always worried about.It will go plenty fast for me since it will have have something always in the bed either chainsaws,firewood or trapping equipment.Also something for my wife to use around the property if she should want to take her family out for a ride around the property.Winch will be definite ---removable front to rear.Would consider a top for winter should I consider to use it to plow my driveway which is almost 450 feet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 825i and I used it to plow this winter. My first set up was with mounting the plow in the from receiver hitch. It worked really good for ease of getting it on and off, but I hit something solid with the corner of the plow and it bent the reciver hitch down and broke the welds on the sides of the reciver. So now I have it mounted it to the frame which is a much better option in my mind for rigidness.. When I was looking at UTV's, I looked at the Polaris and have always had good luck with Sportsmans so I thought it would be a good choice. But after I looked at the frames and compared them, the Polaris looked way lighter and when it comes to hauling things and towing things, I went with the John Deere because I max weight limits out and beyond.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i can tell u that with the 825i the sky is the limit with the attachments since it truly is Deeres flagship for gators. u can get a four seater or two seater. u can install cab components and make ur 825 enclosed can also order a heater for them cold days when ur working. it comes with nice rims and Big Horn 2.0s from the fatory. John Deere now has where u can put the Fox 2.0 shocks on them (same shocks on the RSX) for a better ride. i have already stated u can get power steering and a power lift assist for the bed. also it has the regular CVT transmission with a low gear. u can install aftermarket lights which r powered by Hella. U can have a no scratch windshield on the front. like i said the sky is the limit. u should go to ur nearest dealer and ask for an attachment book for the gators and u will see it all. u can get a mounting bracket for ur trimmer and also one for ur chainsaw. if u wanna add some spare fuel u can also get a bracket and extra fuel tank. u can also get seats that r not just a bench seat for a lil more comfort also haha and just think all this is coming from just a parts guy!!!!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
John deere 855 D

I have had my gator 855D S4 for over 6 months now and love it on my farm. You name it with the diesel and it will work it and then much more. Not a whole lot on top end speed I am getting around 31mph but for low end torque and grunt work it will do it all day long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts