John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading different forums and am still unclear if the belt should be turning all the time-even when the gator is in neutral. As you might guess, I'm having the traditional issue of grinding gears, on my second clutch, but now I must stop the engine, start it then quickly put into gear. I have to kill the engine each time I move from neutral to either forward or reverse.

Waiting for a magic answer

and yes, I have the idle as low as it will go.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What gator do you have

·
Registered
709 Posts
No. That clutch set up on that machine is a loose belt. However, if you are in Neutral, and the clutch is spinning fast enough to engage it, then yes it will turn the belt. Ideally, the belt should NOT be turning at idle. If it IS, the clutch is not fully disengaging.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've seen a lot of gators with that problem and people that don't understand CVT and work on them at dealer ships don't help. If the clutches are spinning in neutral to the point that it grinds to get in gear I first check the idle and usually have to lower it to the low specification in the book. Then if it still does it i ask the customer if they will allow me to replace the primary. If they say no and still want it fixed then I remove it take it all apart and clean it up with Emory cloth. Check the weights and bushings for wear. The hole in the weights were the bolt goes through is usually worn out so both bolt and weight get replaced. Then put new belt on. If all the mounts are straight not broken the clutches should be aligned and work perfectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Change the oil in transmission
Mine would grind and shift hard,the brakes would hang up also
Change the fluid and run it for a couple of trips and the problem would be solved!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gator Clutch

Change the oil in transmission
Mine would grind and shift hard,the brakes would hang up also
Change the fluid and run it for a couple of trips and the problem would be solved!
That is worth a try and a servicing that probably needs done anyway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clutch

For the time being, I moved the idle to almost no idle! Matter of fact it will go head without my foot on the pedal, I'm waiting till Spring really hits TN, then I'm going to try cleaning the clutch(s) and belt.

Thanks for responding back!

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts