John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used CX and the FE290D broke a connecting rod with in 2 hours. I had block rebuilt $$ and installed old carb, starter, clutch and air intake. Installed new plug, coil, air filter and oil. I have spark, carb cleaned out (plug gets wet), good compression, spins good trying to start, tried starting fluid..... but it WONT start !
Ideas ?
any help appreciated

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Ignition timing off by 180 degrees? Therefore spark not occurring during the correct phase.
That’s my wild guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ignition timing off by 180 degrees? Therefore spark not occurring during the correct phase.
That’s my wild guess.
Great through but I split the block to check timing gears and installed a new key on flywheel. Timing is on, someone said bad gas but it ran just B4 it broke
Thanks for input

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Is it true it did NOT run with starting fluid? Assuming the plugs weren't fouled before trying the starting fluid. Given how easy this ignites, suggests there are ignition problems or very low compression. Plug getting wet also supports ignition issue. If plugs are wet, I'll use a butane torch to clean/burn residue before doing further diagnostics. Wet plugs are very difficult to ignite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it true it did NOT run with starting fluid? Assuming the plugs weren't fouled before trying the starting fluid. Given how easy this ignites, suggests there are ignition problems or very low compression. Plug getting wet also supports ignition issue. If plugs are wet, I'll use a butane torch to clean/burn residue before doing further diagnostics. Wet plugs are very difficult to ignite.
I can replace plug again, It did not start with starting fluid ( I was shocked) I through the spark was dim so installed a new coil pack and plug appears to be strong. Compression "feels" strong but don't have a compression gauge. I just drained the fuel system incase of water. I'll try as soon as I get fresh gas
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Keep us posted with the progress and data.

Some parts stores rent diagnostic tools for free.

good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will post results once I know them. There appears to be a ballasted resistor on the floor board of the Gator. Would anyone know exactly what this does ?
Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the responses. I see a what looks like a ballasted resistor on the floor of the Gator, what is the function of this ????
Thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Picture may help. I’m not aware of anything matching the description but hopefully someone else will respond.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picture may help. I’m not aware of anything matching the description but hopefully someone else will respond.
I will get a pic, but its about 5" wide 4" tall, cast Alum with cooling ribs, epoxy filled has I think 6 wires
more to come

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
I will get a pic, but its about 5" wide 4" tall, cast Alum with cooling ribs, epoxy filled has I think 6 wires
more to come
#26 in the Photo ? If so- Voltage Regulator ?

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts