John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a gator 6x4 (probably 15 years old or so?) that won't start or even attempt to start at all. I've got a jump battery hooked up to it, I get dash lights, but when the key is turned, nothing. No crank, nothing. It is in Neutral.

I believe the issue MAY be with the gear box. I'm thinking that perhaps, even though the shifter is in Neutral, the gear isn't REALLY in neutral. Thus the complete lack of start (or even attempt). I've got a full battery NOCO 1000 amp jump start, so I don't think the issue has anything to do with the battery. I have used that many times on cars and it works like a charm.

Is there a way to perhaps manually shift the gear into neutral? Possibly directly from under the truck bed? If there is an issue with the shifter, perhaps there is a cable or something under the bed that can be turned or otherwise manipulated so that the engine can start?

When the key is turned and the bed is lifted, I can see what I believe is the fuel line vibrating, like the fuel pump is pumping gas to the engine. Another thought would be that the fuel line is faulty and no gas is getting to the engine? The gator belongs to my elderly parents and I think they have neglected the service of it. I'd like to get it running just so I can get it to my house and do a full service.

Another thing to note is when I push it, the wheels seems to be locked up. While in Neutral with no brake on, it doesn't roll at all. That's another reason I believe perhaps it's stuck in drive, even though the shifter freely moves and appears to be working. Thanks for your help. I am going to take another look at it tomorrow so I can post pictures or whatever other information is required. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Electrical issues are best solved using a meter or other test instrument. Otherwise it is guessing.

Fuel pump shouldn't have anything to do with the engine not turning over.

Shifter linkages can always be disengaged at the transmission and moved by hand.

Even if in gear the torque converter (aka clutch) should allow it to move. IE: Belt should be loose between the two pulleys.

If you're really interested in repairing yourself, suggest you get a copy of the technical manual. They can be purchased from the dealer or other sources. If read, they can provide a fair amount of insight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the starter isnt cranking it might be the starter itself or the ignition. In any case, get a basic multimeter so at least you can measure voltage at the battery and voltage at the starter and solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to buy the manual? You can't download it for free? That seems to explain things because I looked for the manual and didn't seem to be able to find it... I guess I'll go buy one then.

I still think it is stuck in drive. If it's in neutral, wouldn't it roll? The tires don't seem to want to move at all which leads me to think it's a gear stuck in drive issue.

Shifter linkages can always be disengaged at the transmission and moved by hand.

Even if in gear the torque converter (aka clutch) should allow it to move. IE: Belt should be loose between the two pulleys.
So I can move it by hand at the transmission to change it from being in "Neutral", "Forward", or "Reverse"? I'd like to try that first I think that would solve my issue. How can I do that by hand to ensure it's in Neutral? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You should watch a video on how a CVT works so you understand why the transmission position doesn’t matter. They can roll down hill if left “in gear” because the cvt doesn’t provide engine braking.

Yes the tech manuals cost money. Part of the investment for doing the work yourself. Plus it will likely save time assuming you value your time at all.

Owners manuals can usually be accessed for free though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Easy way to check the neutral override switch is to simply disconnect the connector to the switch at the top of the tranny and jumper the wire terminals, essentially connecting the switch. Next, connect 12v directly to the starter spade terminal. If the starter turns over, you've either got a bad start switch or a bad relay. If you hear a click from the relay when you hit the switch it's probably, not for sure good. Finally, pull the ignition switch and jump from the hot 12v to the start terminal. If it starts, there's your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a gator 6x4 (probably 15 years old or so?) that won't start or even attempt to start at all. I've got a jump battery hooked up to it, I get dash lights, but when the key is turned, nothing. No crank, nothing. It is in Neutral.

I believe the issue MAY be with the gear box. I'm thinking that perhaps, even though the shifter is in Neutral, the gear isn't REALLY in neutral. Thus the complete lack of start (or even attempt). I've got a full battery NOCO 1000 amp jump start, so I don't think the issue has anything to do with the battery. I have used that many times on cars and it works like a charm.

Is there a way to perhaps manually shift the gear into neutral? Possibly directly from under the truck bed? If there is an issue with the shifter, perhaps there is a cable or something under the bed that can be turned or otherwise manipulated so that the engine can start?

When the key is turned and the bed is lifted, I can see what I believe is the fuel line vibrating, like the fuel pump is pumping gas to the engine. Another thought would be that the fuel line is faulty and no gas is getting to the engine? The gator belongs to my elderly parents and I think they have neglected the service of it. I'd like to get it running just so I can get it to my house and do a full service.

Another thing to note is when I push it, the wheels seems to be locked up. While in Neutral with no brake on, it doesn't roll at all. That's another reason I believe perhaps it's stuck in drive, even though the shifter freely moves and appears to be working. Thanks for your help. I am going to take another look at it tomorrow so I can post pictures or whatever other information is required. Thanks.
I’working on a 1997 4x6 right now that had been immersed.Someone before me had changed the engine out and I believe it has a JD mower engine on it now with a straight, keyed shaft. It took me a while to get a clutch to fit it but I finally did.
When I bought it, it didn’t even have a fuel pump on it and the wiring was a mess. The fuel line was connected directly to the carburetor from the fuel tank. Don’t see how that would ever work.
I had no fire when I first began trying to start it. I had to have a good battery in it before I had any fire, even though I was boosting it.
I had to change the intake and put the correct carburetor on it because the carburetor that was in it was from a 425 JD lawnmower.
I’ve had it running several times and am going to be finishing up today and driving it around.
As far as with you transmission, my tires that are on the axle from the transmission (the front one) were not turning when I bought it. I took the transmission off and just cleaned it up and lubed it with oil when I put it back together and if world fine.
Hopefully this helps you.
BYW, I have lots of good used parts that I bought with this gator for sale. An engine, radiator, seat bases, fuel tank and a few more items.

·
Registered
2 Posts

One more thing, pull the neutral wire plug loose firm the transmission and put a jumper wire on it anc see if it will turn over.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bypass the neutral safety switch and see if it will spin over then. Does it have an emergency brake? Because like @200mph mentioned, a vehicle with a CVT will roll no matter what gear the transmission is in.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Will the OP report their progress of solution?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts