John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 860i that was parked close to a river that flooded over night. The water came up the the top of the bed and stayed there about three hours. The water went down and a couple days later we were able to pull the gator on a trailer to take to the John Deere shop. They said they found rust in the oil and refused to work on it any further. It was never started while in the water. They said my machine was a total loss. What are my options ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drain all fluids.
Pull the spark plug.
Turn engine over to eject any water in the cylinder, if it will turn over.

Mix 50/50 of acetone and ATF and put in spark plug hole and fill crankcase with it.

Let it sit a day or so, then drain the ATF / acetone mix and fill with regular oil.

Crank engine over to get cylinder cleared, then install the spark plug and see if it'll start with fresh fuel in the tank. Also add Sta-bil to the fuel and oil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
It sounds like it's too late but you really need to start working on it immediately after it comes out of the water. It's better to leave it in the water until you are ready to work on it. When under water there isn't a lot of oxygen so corrosion will grow slowly but when you pull it out into the air rust can proceed quickly.

Before starting work on it I'd give it a thorough hosing or mild pressure washing. Don't worry about the pretty green bits but focus on cleaning the mud out of all the nooks & crannies and mechanicals. I would also remove the cover for the clutches and give them a good pressure washing then blow off all the water with an air hose.

When draining the fluids. Don't forget to do ALL the fluids. That includes the front diff and transmission.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes I agree with Racerx, also drain all of drive tran. front differential. Remove cover on belt drive and clean .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts