John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my RSX 850 into the shop due to an issue where the machine spit/spuddered and smoked when in reverse after crossing a 6-12 inch deep water crossing. This quit after the machine dried but would re-occur immediatly after any water crossing.
The dealer found O2 sensor codes in the computer and packed the O2 sensor connections with dielectric grease. When I took the machine home I found that it would set the check engine light again immediately after a water crossing and would then cut out in forward gears - almost as if the engine was de-rating. Sometimes at 47 mph sometimes at 17mph. Once in awhile it would get itself back up to the 56mph speed limiter but only after it was dry.

Dealer replaced the 02 sensor and the machine does not set the check engine light but it still de-rates at various speeds.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
904 Posts
As much as the machines now a days having everything electrical, it could be water in electrical connections. Check every connections and dielectric grease every one of them. I have not had any problems, but I am about to clean her up real good, and tear her down for some stuff like this and some mods!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 17mph... actually is 15mph and is caused by the Reverse switch. If the unit is in Reverse it will prevent speeds greater than 15mph. Sometimes this switch sticks... or in your case maybe got wet. It is located on the transmission next to the linkage.

You might need to put the dielectric grease on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New ECU didn't solve the problem but the dealer is still working on it. No codes but it still acts like its de-rating at 47mph.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I hope you get it fixed soon. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This issue seems to be resolved. Dealer found the fuel pressure sitting at a constant 60psi no matter what the engine load/rpm - supposedly way too high.
They put a new fuel pressure regulator in it and the problem is resolved. I tool it on a 50 mile ride last night with no problems.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good Deal!!!!!!!! I am glad they finally got you fixed!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Glad they got you fixed up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
150 miles since I've had it back and its running great still.
John Deer warranty and dealer service is something other UTV/SxS companies should look at cloning. Services after the sales is obviously something high on JDs priorities list.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great...Glad to know they took care of you...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just had my Trail quit while doing a wide water crossing, probably a foot deep and found the gas tank half full of water and dirt, so be aware there may be a flaw in the fuel pump and return caps on the top of the tank that allow copious amounts of water and debris into the tank in a short period of time. Pumped the water out and she runs like a charm, just sucked having to push it 1/2 a mile through the water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your issue isn't the return caps on the tank or the pump - its the tank breather line. For whatever reason JD routed it very low and without a filter. Remove the side panel where the fill neck is located and follow the line and you will see what I mean. It T's into the rear end vent as well.
I noticed an issue after a weekend ride when I went to change the fluids for the first time and found water in the rear end.

To fix this flaw I extended the hose up the roll bar tubing a good 18 inches.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, I'll have a look at that and get it changed before I have this problem again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Put breeze clamp on all you lines as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I was going to drop the rearend as well after you mentioned that. What are Breeze Clamps?

·
Registered
242 Posts
These Guys

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Funny how things get different names on different sides of the border, those are gear clamps here. Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It seems like Breeze is a company that makes them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately my issues persisted and I lost yet another fuel pressure regulator. According to the shop this is now a known and well documented issue for gators (RSX specifically) operating at elevation. Deere has not yet determined the root cause of the failure.
Because I can't afford to be stranded 60 miles out somewhere on the trail I traded mine in on a Polaris Ranger. Loved the gator but if it doesn't run and isn't reliable I have no use for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts