John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to test my gator stator or recommend a good video .?
I just put in a new regulator but battery is still not charging . I'm not sure which wires to test but i tested the three biggest ones going into the regulator and i got 19v, 4.5v and 8.5 v -AC
the three wires coming out of the stator are all black, but where they go into the voltage regulator there are 6 different colors (none of which are black).

· Registered
75 Posts
You didn't say if you had a 4x2 or 6x4 because there is two separate sections. This primer is from the 6x4 section. It would be handy if you had the entire tech manual. The whole PDF thumb includes parts and owners manuals as well. A real bargain at twenty five bucks plus shipping.
I have no financial interest in this.

Electrical Operation and Diagnostics - 6X4 Gas - 289
ELECTRICAL OPERATION AND DIAGNOSTICS - 6X4 GAS
Operation and Diagnostics - 6X4 Gas
Troubleshooting - 6X4 Gas
System: Electrical
(1) Does starter have cranking problems?
Yes - See “Power Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 292.
Yes - See “Cranking Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 296.
Yes - See “Ground Circuit Tests” on page 396.
Yes - See “Battery Test” on page 372.

(2) Does engine crank but not start?
Yes - See “Ignition Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 299.

(3) Is there spark from the ignition?

(4) Is the fuel pump operating?

(5) Does the engine not shut off?
Yes - Check for a shorted circuit.

(6) Is an improper component working with a switch?

(7) Is there a problem with the engine oil light?
Yes - See “Indicator Lights Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 307.

(8) Does the battery go dead, discharge, or over charge?
Yes - See “Charging Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 303.

(9) Is there a discharge light problem?

(10) Are there cooling fan problems?

(11) Are there instrumentation light problems?

(12) Are there light and horn problems?
Yes - See “Road Homologated Light and Horn Circuit Diagnosis” on page 493 or “Light and Horn Circuit Diagnosis (Earlier Model)” on page 447 or “Light and Horn Circuit Diagnosis (Later Model)” on page 468.

(13) Are there domestic headlight problems?
Yes - See “Standard Headlight Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 312.

(14) Are there cargo box lift problems?
Yes - See “Cargo Box Lift System Troubleshooting Chart” on page 405 and “Cargo Box Lift Circuit Diagnosis” on page 406. System: Electrical

· Super Moderator
868 Posts
The quick way to see if the alternator is charging the battery is with a digital Voltmeter. Put it on the 20V DC scale. Measure across the battery, one lead on each post Without engine running. Voltage should be about 12.0 to 12.6. Then start the engine and connect meter leads. If the alternator is charging, you will see about 13.5 to 14.5. If it is still showing the same voltage as was seen with engine off, the alternator is not charging. Could be worn brushes, bad regulator or just plain old and alternator.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
I guess Bruce is gone.
Sadly a very high percentage of first time posters ghost their own thread. This causes the forum to have a significant number of unresolved or open threads with no closure.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You didn't say if you had a 4x2 or 6x4 because there is two separate sections. This primer is from the 6x4 section. It would be handy if you had the entire tech manual. The whole PDF thumb includes parts and owners manuals as well. A real bargain at twenty five bucks plus shipping.
I have no financial interest in this.

Electrical Operation and Diagnostics - 6X4 Gas - 289
ELECTRICAL OPERATION AND DIAGNOSTICS - 6X4 GAS
Operation and Diagnostics - 6X4 Gas
Troubleshooting - 6X4 Gas
System: Electrical
(1) Does starter have cranking problems?
Yes - See “Power Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 292.
Yes - See “Cranking Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 296.
Yes - See “Battery Test” on page 372.

(2) Does engine crank but not start?

(3) Is there spark from the ignition?

(4) Is the fuel pump operating?

(5) Does the engine not shut off?

(6) Is an improper component working with a switch?

(7) Is there a problem with the engine oil light?

(8) Does the battery go dead, discharge, or over charge?

(9) Is there a discharge light problem?

(10) Are there cooling fan problems?

(11) Are there instrumentation light problems?

(12) Are there light and horn problems?
Yes - See “Road Homologated Light and Horn Circuit Diagnosis” on page 493 or “Light and Horn Circuit Diagnosis (Earlier Model)” on page 447 or “Light and Horn Circuit Diagnosis (Later Model)” on page 468.

(13) Are there domestic headlight problems?
Yes - See “Standard Headlight Circuit Diagnosis - 6X4 Gas” on page 312.

(14) Are there cargo box lift problems?
Yes - See “Cargo Box Lift System Troubleshooting Chart” on page 405 and “Cargo Box Lift Circuit Diagnosis” on page 406. System: Electrical
thankyou for this i will get a manual $25 is a good spend .I have a 6x4.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The quick way to see if the alternator is charging the battery is with a digital Voltmeter. Put it on the 20V DC scale. Measure across the battery, one lead on each post Without engine running. Voltage should be about 12.0 to 12.6. Then start the engine and connect meter leads. If the alternator is charging, you will see about 13.5 to 14.5. If it is still showing the same voltage as was seen with engine off, the alternator is not charging. Could be worn brushes, bad regulator or just plain old and alternator.
Thanks - I don't think it has an alternator . I think its a stator.(or are they called the same thing?
I will try this test.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess Bruce is gone. Open pic in a new tab for a larger view.
View attachment 15953
This drawing is helpful Thankyou. I figured B off the starter charges the battery.I replaced the voltage regulator with a new one- voltage at the battery was still low when running at high revs.
then i tested the 3 wires (there are 6 so wasn't 100% sure )going into the voltage regulator and they read 4/19/and10 AC Volts. That didn't seem good. I am trying to find the harness closer to the stator but it is really dark and tight down there .I tried to take the dump box off but the pins are stuck.

· Registered
75 Posts
.......then i tested the 3 wires (there are 6 so wasn't 100% sure) going into the voltage regulator and they read 4/19/and10 AC Volts. That didn't seem good. I am trying to find the harness closer to the stator but it is really dark and tight down there .I tried to take the dump box off but the pins are stuck.
The X1 and X2 harnesses are behind the cover, and those will be reading AC voltage. The specific values are not given anywhere that I could find. The other wires, #600 Brown goes to the charge indicator bulb, #425 Yellow connects to the key-on #425 power circuit, no need to check those, and the #100 Black is a ground (I'd make sure it's a good clean connection).
I don't see where you would be reading 19 VDC anywhere if you had a good voltage regulator, as there are no multiplying factors anywhere in these schematics.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
The values are likely in the technical manual from JD.

Reactions: Jux

· Registered
75 Posts
The values are likely in the technical manual from JD.
Y'know, if I'd have had one more cup of coffee I would have found it. It's "34 VAC unregulated". So if Bruce is only getting 19 VAC @ 2,000 r/m, I would think his stator might be bad. But before condemning it, I'd make sure all the connections are clean and free of corrosion.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Usually the voltage spec is at a specific rpm. The original poster only used 2000 rpm. Might need to be higher RPMs.

Reactions: BruceM and Jux

· Registered
75 Posts
Usually the voltage spec is at a specific rpm. The original poster only used 2000 rpm. Might need to be higher RPMs.
The TM1518 tech manual doesn't give a specific speed but does state that it's unregulated, which is kind of confusing because there must be some form of excitation in order for it to produce any electricity. I'm just going to assume (I know) it gets statically induced excitation, in which case the stated 34 VAC would be the minimum voltage, and the maximum voltage would be reached at the governed speed of the engine. Interestingly, no spec is given for the frequency for the AC current, but I doubt it's 60 Hz, probably much higher. Probably irrelevant.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Y'know, if I'd have had one more cup of coffee I would have found it. It's "34 VAC unregulated". So if Bruce is only getting 19 VAC @ 2,000 r/m, I would think his stator might be bad. But before condemning it, I'd make sure all the connections are clean and free of corrosion.
thankyou for your help-i'm going to get cleaning uo those connections

1 - 19 of 19 Posts