John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is everyone using the Deere Plus 50 oil? Also, the book calls for 3.4 quarts with a filter change. Has anyone found that this is too much oil?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, thought I was on the RSX 850 forum. The machine is an RSX 850, and the manual calls for 3.4 quarts with a filter change.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was contemplating running a 5w-40 or possibly a 20w-50 (full synthetic) for the hot summer months. Anyone else running a different weight?

·
Registered
242 Posts
No never run 20w50!!!!!If the manufacture say to run..a certain oil ,,,run it..The reason why is the Bearing clearance,,very TIGHT!!..But I am an an Advocate about Running synthetic oils after the Motor is broke in...2 oil changes is a Minimum. when breaking in a Motor..500 miles on first ,,1500 on the next.... then switch to synthetic, at the Proper Spec oil Weght

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would consider using more JD oil but would prefer to get in gallons. With most oil, the gallon price is about 4 singles price so get one fqt ree, I am still looking at standardizing all my OPE oil using Rotella T5 10w-30 when I get through what I have (JD, Pennzoil). It is semi-syn, high TBD, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
3.4 is too much

Is everyone using the Deere Plus 50 oil? Also, the book calls for 3.4 quarts with a filter change. Has anyone found that this is too much oil?
Minshall...I just posted with the same issue (among others) but you are correct. 3.4 quarts even with a filter change is way too much. I had to drain quite a bit of oil after that change and my machine still won't start. The operator's manual has many errors and this is one of them.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i used mobil 1 0w-40 this past oil change and have not noticed any performance issues.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I talked to a JD dealer today about this same issue and he said that 3.4 quarts is an original dry fill. When changing the oil you can run the oil to operating temperature first but that still leaves some oil in. His recommendation was to change the filter and start with about 2.75 quarts. Run it and fill as needed to capacity. Others may have different opinions but that's my plan for future changes. 3.4 was way too much for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought so. I first noticed an issue when I replaced my throttle body and noticed oil. The oil reservoir vents to the hose immediately above the throttle body. Consequently, I plugged the connection and re-routed the reservoir vent tube. I noticed that with over 3 quarts the vent will spit a substantial amount of oil, especially when running rough terrain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just done my second oil change, manual does not say whether to check with the oil cap (dip stick) setting on the top or screwed in tight. I went with setting on top, and with the oil filter changed I put in 3 qts. and 12 oz.. This put the level on the full mark, my 850i came new with about 2 pts. Too much oil in it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This overoiling issue Is too much!!! Guys when you change youre oil, do it less than what the manufacture say to Do>>>>...start the rig up, turn it off...wait a couple minutes then check the Level...Add as needed..........I will tell you too much oil will cavatate the oil pump !!!You will smoke your motor..or make it leak and smoke out the tailpipe real Bad...Its almost Best to leave it a Tad Low, and while its running to check the Bubbles on your Dipstick.....Only on Flat Level Ground...If it is cavitating...its generally too much Oil...It should not be a foamy Mess on your Dipstick...JIMMY

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
fred, thanks for your input. The thread is about an RSX850i. I don't know if that is the machine that you are running or not. Anyway, it is a dry sump motor that has a separate oil reservoir. Personally, I have never seen any bubbles or such on my dipstick. The 0-40 oil it calls for is like water and you can't ever really see where the level truly is. The book calls for you to check the oil by running it up to operating temperature. Frankly, I get different readings every time I check. Also, with the closed loop nature of this system, no one would ever know if they are venting oil back to their fuel system unless they checked their throttle body. I just wish the manual would be better written or that other RSX owners would wake up and have constuctive conversations like on the Polaris forums. Finally, Popham has a valid issue in the previous post about whether the oil level should be with the dipstick screwed in or out. It would probably give a half inch or so resorvoire discrepency.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did not realize this was a Dry sump Motor...Hey after your oil change just check the level in the Resivoir..I am sure it has a small dipstick like a Ps pump ...like on your car Right?..Not too encouraging I know................................Nothing to do about Gators...New cars have NO Dipsticks for automatic Transmissions...How do you check the Level......Trust me ,I still have to look it up and the temp when I can check the oil Level...and which scanner I use to see the TFT, and what its supposed to be..at what Level....This New stuff is Built Wrong

·
Registered
242 Posts
Realisticly a Dry Sump Motor will be at the full range in the Resivoir with the motor off...after the oil change.on the dipstick...as long as the pump Works.................................................................................................................................Nothing to do with Gators again..Dry sump motors are the Best, as far as riding steep inclinations, or downs...its always Oiling....Its the way too go...The best Race cars have it and its Provine fact to be the best way to keep an Engine oiled

·
Registered
47 Posts
Checking oil level

Popham, my RSX owners manual states that the oil cap should be screwed in tight and then unscrewed to check the dipstick for the oil level.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What page on your owners manual did you find this info, my manual on pg.40 under checking engine oil level says Install dipstick. Just curious cause this is pretty important and the dealership was not sure either. If the cap with the dipstick attached is to be screwed in, my guess would be the oil capacity during a oil change including oil filter would be a little over 3 qt., far below the 3.4 qt. that is listed on pg. 83 under Specifications.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Checking engine oil

My manual is issue J3, page 42, manual # OMM172509 :)under checking engine oil level, "remove dipstick wipe it clean, install dipstick, screwing cap tight, remove dipstick, check oil level, if below full line, add oil, install dipstick". Hope this clears up the various ways people are checking their oil levels.The issue # J3 is probably October 2013 as that was the build month of my RSX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the answer, my manual is #OMM164565 E2, pg. 42 is about servicing the air filter and cleaning the engine. Pages 40 and 41 are where they talk about oil change and as I said before they are not clear about oil cap installation, glad we finally have an answer, what does your manual give for oil capacities.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts