John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this Gator non running, I put a new clutch in. But now It's maxing out at about 5-10mph. How do I fix this? Or where do I start to look to fix this? I know it shouldn't be going this slow.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Some are slow because the clutch limits the speed. Did you order the correct one? (Some have a low speed kit in them)

Correct and new belt?

Is secondary stuck?

engine maxing out max speed/rpm?

more detail can help.

many number of things can limit top speed including a tired engine or clogged exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some are slow because the clutch limits the speed. Did you order the correct one? (Some have a low speed kit in them)

Correct and new belt?

Is secondary stuck?

engine maxing out max speed/rpm?

more detail can help.

many number of things can limit top speed including a tired engine or clogged exhaust.
I didn't replace the belt when I put in the new clutch Part number ( AM138529) ... Engine sounds like it's going to the max rpm. The secondary clutch moves, it isn't stuck. Just checked the exhaust filter it was clear, no clog there.

I don't think it's the fuel filter, as it idles just fine. I checked the air filter as well looks very clean.

I'm lost.

·
Super Moderator
854 Posts
Is the engine achieving full speed while it is doing the ten or so MPH?

A clogged filter can allow it to idle, but won’t flow enough fuel to allow it to achieve high engine speed.

you need to determine if it is a power problem or a belt system problem. You determine that by engine speed vs. vehicle speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the engine achieving full speed while it is doing the ten or so MPH?

A clogged filter can allow it to idle, but won’t flow enough fuel to allow it to achieve high engine speed.

you need to determine if it is a power problem or a belt system problem. You determine that by engine speed vs. vehicle speed.
The air filter seems clean? How do I know about engine speed?

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
1,050 Posts
"How do I know about engine speed?"
Use your ears. How does the engine rpm sound? Does it sound like it's revving up like it should or does the engine seem to be stuck at lower rpm? Going 10mph with the engine at redline sounds very different than going 10 mph with the engine at half rpm. It's not exact science but it can be VERY helpful to at least point you in the right direction. One situation points towards a driveline issue (clutches, gearbox) while the other points toward the engine (why isn't it revving faster).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You took the video with the glare of the sun on the dash so we can't see the icon. Since you have the machine look up the symbol in the manual or search online. Or, tell us what symbol is illuminated.

My guess is that it is the system diagnostic light. Basically a check engine light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You took the video with the glare of the sun on the dash so we can't see the icon. Since you have the machine look up the symbol in the manual or search online. Or, tell us what symbol is illuminated.

My guess is that it is the system diagnostic light. Basically a check engine light.
It's the service book that's lighting up. I do understand it's basically a check engine light but I am trying to figure out what the blinks =

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noticed this plug that isn't plugged into anything when changing the fuel filter. Anyone know what this goes to? Is it just an accessary plug or something that sound be plugged in and may be what's causing my issue?

Automotive tire Grey Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Sleeve Denim Electric blue Bag

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Most more modern Gator's wiring harnesses include the wiring and connectors for potential accessories. So, it is not uncommon to find open connectors all over the machine. Still, it doesn't hurt to look around for the mating connector in case it came unhooked. Since your machine is fuel injected an unhooked sensor could put the engine into limp mode (slow) and turn on the idiot light.

You can get some idea by looking at the connector. If the male part that goes into another connector is cleaner than the rest of the connector or anything else in the area it can indicate that it was plugged into something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts