John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I found this forum. My gator will crank and idle fine, but when I try to go forward or reverse it dies. Took the carburetor off and cleaned it, added clean gas, blew out the fuel line, changed the fuel filter, same result. Could it be the fuel pump? Anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks...

By the way, the model number is W004X2X100658. How do I find out what year/model it is?

Jeff

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!

Gatordone is the man when it comes to the year/model look up. Sounds like a carb or fuel pump problem. Do you have the parking brake off??

Sorry for the dumb question, but a couple of my gators will act stupid with the parking brake still on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually do set the parking brake when I stop...but I'll have to check that tomorrow with the parking brake off. How do I check the fuel pump to see if it's working properly?

Jeff

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello Jeff, Welcome aboard. Your utility gator was made in Nov 2003, So it might be considered a 2004 model yr. As for your dying issue it could be a number of things. Fuel line in fuel tank partially plugged, Insides of lines coming apart and blocking flow (even though you blew them out). Carburator still has debris in it or yes the fuel pump. Hookup a aux fuel supply to carb like a bottle with gas in it and this will narrow down your search of where the problem could be at. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Batman & GATORDONE...thanks for the welcome(s). I have heard that Ethanol fuel can delaminate the fuel lines so I'm gonna replace them. As far as hooking up an aux fuel supply directly to the carb, I would be bypassing the fuel pump. Correct? Would I need to have the bottle of fuel elevated above the motor for constant flow?

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can do it 2 ways, ahead of the pump, or right to the carb with it elevated above. This will check if it is the pump or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can do it 2 ways, ahead of the pump, or right to the carb with it elevated above. This will check if it is the pump or not.
Thank you sir!!! I'm working 13 hour days this week so it'll be Friday afternoon before I can get back at it. I'll post results ASAP.

Also, are the keys different for each vehicle or can you just order them from the supplier?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE - Changed out all of the fuel lines, and cleaned the carb again...but this time I took the tank itself out and cleaned it and the fuel pickup tube. Did NOT change out the fuel pump though. Put it all back together and she is running like a 3-legged chicken! Thanks for the info and support. Later 'Gators'...:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
HXP won't start

Hey Guys, I have a 2004 Gator HXP that turns over but will not run. Just put new plugs and fuel filter and an oil change .
Any thoughts on where I should begin the process of elimination?
Thanks for your advice.
Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Starter

Anyone have any idea on how to get a starter out of. A 625i gator it’s only a 2014 and the starter is giving me issues ?...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts