John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at the tractor show/swap meet on friday driving up and down the swap meet rows and my gator started to shut itself down. Batt. went dead and no responce at the throtle. The next morn. I turned the key and it started right up, but I noticed the voltage reg./rectifier is very hot only after a few minutes. Anyone have the same problem? Also the voltage at the batt. does not go above 12.3v, even at full throtle. It is a 2010 620i 4x4 limited edtion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Haven't yet got a Gator (wait is killing me :p - should have it in my hands tomorrow), so I haven't experienced the same. Two likely culprits since the regulator is hot: 1) regulator is (going) bad; 2) something is drawing way more current than it should. What is the battery voltage when you shut the engine off? If it drops down to about 9v, you might have a shorted cell. (I haven't seen such cause high current draw, but...)

Good luck!

- Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltage was 11.2-11.7 this morn. I put the batt. charger on it and it is holding a charge(12.3). I don't have alot stuff to draw it down, only a winch and it's been there for months with no prob's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Voltage was 11.2-11.7 this morn. I put the batt. charger on it and it is holding a charge(12.3). I don't have alot stuff to draw it down, only a winch and it's been there for months with no prob's.
Sounding more like the regulator is the issue. :( Couple more thoughts... What voltage do you have with the charger on (and ignition off)? Then try with the ignition on (without starting the engine). If you get a big drop when you turn it on, I would say something is drawing (partial short?) that shouldn't be. As I think about it more, I still wouldn't rule out the battery at this point, but I am leaning toward the regulator. You should be able to bring the battery to an auto store and have them test it quickly (usually for free).

Will keep my thinking cap on and post again if I have any other hair brained ideas. :cool:

Again, wish you luck!

- Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have a battery tester, see what voltage the battery is putting out while running...it could be that your alternator is starting to shit the bed...I would guess it's probably the regulator (not me...the one on the Gator), but I wouldn't rule out the alternator until you know whether or not the regulator is the problem...The voltage should go up when you rev up the engine, so if it's staying the same as when idleing it could be either one...

Good luck on the fix...let us know what it turns out to be...

Larry in MD :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to my JD service techs today and they told me to change the voltage reg. and stater. My next move was over to the warranty dept. just to check. Good thing I did, I have 48 days left on my warranty. So off to JD service(let them pay for it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gator shuts off

Did you find out what was wrong .I have one that shuts down after 5 to 10 min .And will not start for a 1/2 hr .No spark and i have changed the coil .

thanks
Richard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The voltage regulator melted. It's located on the rt. rear frame rail (on my '10 620i). My batt. would come back over night but, the Gator would only run a short while on that . Look for "ooze" coming from behind the box.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts