John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Had the chance to work with Dirt Trax TV this past season with a group of Deere dealers here in Ontario and the Canadian branch to get some TV exposure for the Gator line-up. Thought I'd take a minute to post links to them if anyone was interested.

Here is a link to the RSX feature that they did on the show.
Dirt Trax Online - Exclusive editorial, photos, episodes and videos about ATVs and Side-X-Sides

This is a link to the episode they did with the segment on Deere. (Is the second segment in the show).
DIRTTRAXTV: Dalton Video Portal

Here is a link to the episode that aired where the guys took me to Hatfield's Trailfest.
DIRTTRAXTV: Dalton Video Portal

Was really cool to work with them. Hoping to do some more with them again this season.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good links. I've seen the first DT review before but the others were new to me. Nice work trying to give the Gators some much needed positive exposure. The RSX is a great machine but suffers from any noticeable marketing efforts on the part of JD. It is what the Commander wants to be. Any plans to increase the marketing efforts in the states? You have a great machine that unfortunately gets a little lost and overlooked in all of the Polaris, Can Am, and Yamaha marketing clutter. It seems that wherever I ride I'm the only Deere there. Thanks for what you're doing to help in that effort.

BTW, how did you like Hatfield McCoy and how did the Gators perform there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Il_Padrino, thanks for the note. I agree RSX is a great machine that gets overlooked. I work for a dealership and was familiar with Dirt Trax. I worked with some peers at other dealerships here in Ontario to do a trail ride with them to introduce them to the Gator line-up and to connect Dirt Trax with our local advertising/marketing folks at Deere's Cdn branch. I'd watched Dirt Trax for years and knew them from their snowmobiling show/magazine long before that. Really wanted to get some time at the mic for Deere with them as they have quite a following here in Canada and in the US as well I understand. Although we worked with them to feature the RSX, they really liked the 825i, too.

Was invited to a Deere meeting in Cary last fall and while there met a couple guys from the Gator marketing team, and actually had lunch with the Product Manager for the RSX. Not sure what is in the works in the US this year - but RSX fella was hinting that they are working on some pretty cool stuff across the whole line-up. My guess is they'll likely ramp things up as they roll new goodies out.

Had a 620i and now an 825i - and have had a lot of fun with both. I'm the only one in my crew that has a sxs, and typically the only Deere I see when we're out too. Get lots of approving comments when I end-up acting as tow-truck/pack horse/mobile service vehicle on our adventures and go anywhere my quad riding buddies do to boot.

I feel the same way you do, wish more folks new how great these machines are. (Of all the people attending Trailfest, there was only one other dude with a Deere). Hopefully our exposure with the Dirt Trax guys helps give us a bump in the street-cred department with the average rider - and they get less overlooked as a 'farm-only' unit.

Not sure how far from OK, but Hatfield is 12-14 hours from here. Was well worth the drive. Great experience, looking forward to going back down.

Thanks again for the note.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Il_Padrino, thanks for the note. I agree RSX is a great machine that gets overlooked. I work for a dealership and was familiar with Dirt Trax. I worked with some peers at other dealerships here in Ontario to do a trail ride with them to introduce them to the Gator line-up and to connect Dirt Trax with our local advertising/marketing folks at Deere's Cdn branch. I'd watched Dirt Trax for years and knew them from their snowmobiling show/magazine long before that. Really wanted to get some time at the mic for Deere with them as they have quite a following here in Canada and in the US as well I understand. Although we worked with them to feature the RSX, they really liked the 825i, too.

Was invited to a Deere meeting in Cary last fall and while there met a couple guys from the Gator marketing team, and actually had lunch with the Product Manager for the RSX. Not sure what is in the works in the US this year - but RSX fella was hinting that they are working on some pretty cool stuff across the whole line-up. My guess is they'll likely ramp things up as they roll new goodies out.

Had a 620i and now an 825i - and have had a lot of fun with both. I'm the only one in my crew that has a sxs, and typically the only Deere I see when we're out too. Get lots of approving comments when I end-up acting as tow-truck/pack horse/mobile service vehicle on our adventures and go anywhere my quad riding buddies do to boot.

I feel the same way you do, wish more folks new how great these machines are. (Of all the people attending Trailfest, there was only one other dude with a Deere). Hopefully our exposure with the Dirt Trax guys helps give us a bump in the street-cred department with the average rider - and they get less overlooked as a 'farm-only' unit.

Not sure how far from OK, but Hatfield is 12-14 hours from here. Was well worth the drive. Great experience, looking forward to going back down.

Thanks again for the note.
thats a long ride for u ant it? Canada to Cary,NC haha im hoping to go to trailfest this year but i keep hearing people tell me its not the most UTV place to ride. Its atleast 8 hrs from my house but i would love to go. i have said it before but i would love to get a bunch of guys to go one time and have a true Deere group! if u are ever this way again (NC) let me know there is also a place that i have found that is great called Carolina Adventure World in SC its pretty good trailing riding!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there Marcust90, it's funny you say that - the Cary deal was the same week as Trailfest - so I made a road trip of it. Ontario (west of Toronto) to Gilbert, WV - via Cary, NC? Hmmm. Made sense at the time, haha. Was a good trip, you have some beautiful country down there!

I found the trials great at Hatfield. Not sure what was making folks say they weren't the best for a UTV? I'd say it was at least 60% SxS/UTVs - 40% atvs that I noticed when I was there. Lots of rhinos, kawis, rangers. Did get narrow in a few places, but that was part of the fun/challenge.
Maybe that was it?

Really appreciate the invite. Would be cool to rally some Deere guys. Will be sure to fire you a note if I get down that way again!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
thank ya bud it is one of a kind down here. if i go trail riding up there i will probly ned to get a different set of tires as i am running 30" mud tires right now as that it mainly what we have here

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a bad call. Stock Big Horns would work great there. Was slick when we were there 'cause it had rained for 2 days straight, but nothing the Big Horns couldn't handle. I'm running slightly over-sized rubber as well, and got a little 'warm' near the end of the run. (Likely didn't help that I was chasing Luke from Dirt Trax all day and packed the rad with mud, plus altitude). Next time I go, I'd likely put the stocks back on for the trip.

Any similar trail networks on the east coast? Or main places to ride for UTVs at the adventure parks?

Up here there are a number of rider clubs that maintain trails. The trails are made up mainly of old rail lines, power lines, and government land that the clubs have been granted access too. Each year there seems to be a few more which is great - they only downfall is utvs/side x sides aren't road legal yet. They're real close to getting them approved, but a bunch of the trail networks aren't open to UTVs yet because they use a lot of road to connect the different segments of trail.

Any different down there?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Near my house is mainly private land that we ride. but we do have a mud park called busco beach atv park. there are a few places that we can ride like uwharrie nation forest and browns mountain. my favorite is carolina adventure world by far. its 4000 acres of land and have some great trails. there is also one in Tenn that i wanna go to that supposedly has 70,000 acres to ride on! i agree tho it would be great to get some guys together and get some more tv time for the rsx and deere gators in general. i always hear people talk about how bad a** my gator is just wish Deere would do more to promote them against Po-po and can ham haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! I hear ya man. New to the forum here. Has been cool to visit with folks on the same page (literally and figuratively). Thanks for the time!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yes sir! anytime if u need anything just ask buddy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah my local dealer group is looking to get more exposure on the trails with some RSX and 825i units. They have sold more in the last couple months than in a long time they told me.

Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Josh, that sounds good. Deere has had a bunch of good programs on the last few months too, hopefully that's helped. Which dealer group is it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Green Tractors is my local. Use to be clow farm equip but then they joined in last year. I lucked into the rebate i was going to buy one anyway and then the midnight got the promo just as i was making up my mind. So i used it to load up on accessories :).

Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Josh, very cool. Midnight editions are pretty sweet. Green Tractors was in on the Dirt Trax project too. They also did some work with GoRiding I think last summer. Was a customer of theirs that was used in a feature on Gators in the magazine. Heard the new store at the Clow location is pretty nice. Enjoy the new ride man!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We go to Hatfield a couple times every year, at least, and some years more. We switch between Gilbert area and the Indiana Ridge/outlaw trail area, the latter we usually do in the Fall, as it's much more spectacular in scenery. The past couple of years there has been 4 XUV Gators a regular part of our group, and we have ALL watched them pull stuff off the rest of couldn't...a perfect example is how sideways both the 625i and 825i can get on the coal-climb at the start of the Outlaw Trail system...I rolled my RZR trying to follow a 625i...I decided right then and there I would soon have me one of those! And he had half our daily provisions in his bed! At some point you realize there is a time and place where speed isn't all that matters. I bought a 625i! Took it on it's maiden H & M voyage this spring, riding behind a an RZR, who was shocked when all day all he could see in his rear-view was JD green! A month ago, I bought a new 825i, and the 625i is now being converted into a ZX1400 powered project. Anyway, in question to how the Gator works in Hatfield & McCoy?...in many ways, better than any other machine there. You wont be near the fastest, but seriously...if you have been in that trail system, how often can you stretch-out the legs of ANY machine? Try it, and you can add something to, "The Tree Of Shame". (I have a chunk of my XP 900 in that tree!) The 625i was absolutely underpowered for those mountains but, made up for it in other areas, and crawled-up EVERYTHING anyone else crawled up. I will put the 825i to the same test in the Fall, but I already know how that will work...been riding with a couple, for a couple years, and they go anywhere and everywhere anyone else goes. For the record, the JD's have been the most trouble-free in our group. We have bent a few frames, and never on a JD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts