John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glow plugs shot on the diesel XUV. Wow! How do you replace them? They are under what looks like the engine head or valve assembly. The tek manual does not have a section on replacement other then how they work and the electrical drawings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
take a closer look at the electrical diagram, something upsteam of the glowplugs is a more likely problem, glowplug relay? any fuses? poor wire connection? weak battery/connections? verify with a meter before jumping to a conclusion. I'm not sure, but I assume your gator should still crank but may be hard to start in the cold temps if ALL the glow plugs were failed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take a closer look at the electrical diagram, something upsteam of the glowplugs is a more likely problem, glowplug relay? any fuses? poor wire connection? weak battery/connections? verify with a meter before jumping to a conclusion. I'm not sure, but I assume your gator should still crank but may be hard to start in the cold temps if ALL the glow plugs were failed.
Already confirmed glow plugs bad. Only one working

·
Registered
250 Posts
Remove the valve cover. Air intake hose and then 10mm bolt heads that hold on the cover, glow plugs are partially crammed under there. Disconnect wire and I think its a 12mm deep socket to remove glow plugs. When ya pick up the glow plugs get a new valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1. Park machine safely. See "Park Machine Safely" in the Safety section.
2. Raise and lock cargo box.

MX37356
3. Loosen hose clamp (A) from air cleaner hose and disconnect hose from intake side of rocker arm cover.
4. Remove bolt (B) from wiring clamp.
5. Remove six long (C) and three short bolts (D) securing valve cover to cylinder head.
6. Remove rocker cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace glow plug Gator TH6x4 diesel at 976 hrs

If it helps I just replaced the three glow plugs NGK Y1021J on my 2011 Yanmar diesel gator. All three were blown. In addition to the above info you will need to remove the wiring loom that goes over the rocker cover. One connection to the starter motor 13mm nut and one spade to the solenoid and the connector to the alternator and one 10mm nut. Lift the loom away from the rocker cover. Remove the air intake hose from the rocker box cover first. To remove the rocker cover there are 6 long bolts and three short bolts (at the front of the cover) all 10mm. When you lift off the rocker cover it will expose the three inlet manifolds. I suggest you plug these with three small pieces of clean rag to prevent anything falling in there while you replace the glow plugs. The glow plugs are easy to remove with a standard 12mm socket in my experience. All three of my glow plugs were open circuit. It was a pig to start in any sort of cold weather. Started flawlessly when warm. The whole job took less than an hour and I was going very slowly at it. There are two gaskets a rubber one that fits into a groove on the rocker box cover and a paper one that sits under the lid on top of the rocker box cover. This lid is held in place by two Philips head screws which do not need to be removed. In my case the rubber gasket was in good condition so I did not replace it.

Real test will be tomorrow am when I try and start it from cold. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If it helps I just replaced the three glow plugs NGK Y1021J on my 2011 Yanmar diesel gator. All three were blown.
Thanks for posting the NGK number for the plugs.

Hopefully the OP will post the number for his model (in the event it is different).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace glow plug Gator TH6x4 diesel at 976 hrs

Ok update this am. It started first turn of the key from cold. If it helps the Engine model number is 3TNV70-XJUV. The part numbers for the rubber gasket is MIU800300 and the paper gasket MIU800302. Attached is a diagram of the rocker cover and gasket I found online.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
... It started first turn of the key from cold.
Glad to hear you're up and running.

Did you buy the glow plugs from the dealer or elsewhere? Price?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased from John Deere dealer as I wanted to make sure I got the right glow plugs. In hindsight I paid about double the price of what you can get these on EBAY or Amazon. The original glow plugs fitted had an NGK number that does not come up on a google search so I guess I did not have a choice at the time. Older and wiser now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Do you remember the NGK number stamped into the GP?

Typically NGK uses two numbers that can be used to ID the GP. First there is the number stamped into the wrenching flats, such as Y1021J and then there is a Stock Number associated with it. In this case Part Number Y1021J has a Stock Number of 97627.

Sometime the stock number can be used to track down a supplier.

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=41492
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ngk-4440/ignition---tune-up-16776/specialty-glow-plugs---construction-farm-equipment-25973/b736f3f7f5ea/ngk-glow-plug/97627/4536405

I've found this document helpful:
https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/NGK_Glow-Spec.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts