John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 1999 4x2 Turf Gator and as part of my chasing an intermittent charging issue and a periodic squealing noise, I had replaced the v-belt and tightened the belt as far as the bracket would allow. Still no joy, and the belt sure seemed loose. But, hey, it was as tight as it could go. Who am I to question some Deere engineer’s definition of “tight”?
Compounding the issue was that the Operator’s Manual for this model (OMM128544) is not available online for the free download so I didn’t have a good source document to guide me.
I finally bought the manual today from Deere’s website and they have an instant download option, so I was able to get to the correct section immediately.
The picture In the manual quickly pointed out my problem. The previous owner had either replaced the whole starter/generator unit or put on a new pulley, but the pulley on my Gator is too small and that’s why I could never get the belt tight enough. A picture is worth a thousand words.
95518078-02B0-413A-9C41-4DA9160A26C7.jpeg
44093C26-A898-469A-BD20-B4A1ACC9EF6F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Maybe they wanted more charging, so they swapped a smaller pulley.

I'd look for a smaller belt.

Perhaps there was a p/n change along the way. Be careful ordering parts by year. JD uses serial number to look up parts.

Post back on your solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts