John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day, Everyone. I am hoping some generous souls can give me advice on my beloved 1998 6x4 Gator.
Parked it last week and all was fine that day. Went to start it a week later and by all accounts, the starter went bad.
The solenoid clicks just fine. So I decided to gently tap on the starter and the solenoid, sometimes this works for regular vehicles. No go, the clicking noise did change though. Ok, so I kept the ignition on enough to raise the bed.
I have been caught with not being able to raise the bed before and I really wanted to diagnose my issue.

The bed went up fine. Ok, so now I want to lower it so it can be hauled out of here and fixed and tuned up and new sneakers (dont ask the price, you dont want to know). Bed wont go down and no clicking of solenoid. Ok, dead battery. I put my boost charger on the battery. Nothing! GREAT. Now I need a battery, and a solenoid $$$.
Now I have a dead battery and a bed that is sticking up in the air. How, please tell me how, to get this bed down. The dealer is coming to pick it up very soon. Thanks so much for your help. - Lynsey Gator

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, Dane. I will go out and see if I can do that. I have no way of lifting the bed if I need to take weight off of it to do so. It is outside, under a tent. No room for gin pole setup and dont have a cherry picker.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
1,024 Posts
Get creative. Lifting from above isn't your only option. You can wedge blocks of wood or use a jack underneath the bed (between bed and frame or bed and engine) to lift it up enough to relieve pressure on the actuator mounting pin. You can also work line an Egyptian with a long lever/board with a weight at the end. Whatever method you choose keep safety in mind. You don't want your lifting rig letting go when you are under the bed wiggling and banging to get the pin out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Dane. I took a good look at it. I was perplexed on a few things. There is a pin attaching it to the bed, but access to it is covered on the right by a huge welded on panel. If I manage to release the pin from the underneath, where does it go if it is not collapsed into itself? I was hoping to electrically lower the bed instead of disassembling something. Can I electrically lower it by applying power somewhere?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
You can’t put a new battery in and/or replace the relay switches or power directly to motor from another battery?

Sounds like not coming down because it lacks power. Or do you think lift mechanism has failed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi 200mph, good to hear from you! Hope all is well. I sincerely believe it is a power issue. I put my battery booster pack on the batter and nothing!!! That is what has me stumped. I would surely like to power the motor directly, cant find it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts