John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2011 855d. It runs good except for a dull grinding/groaning noise in the rear end when accelerating. No noise once it’s up to speed. I’ve tried to pinpoint the noise without success.

This is my first machine like this. Is that noise normal?

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2011 855d. It runs good except for a dull grinding/groaning noise in the rear end when accelerating. No noise once it’s up to speed. I’ve tried to pinpoint the noise without success.

This is my first machine like this. Is that noise normal?
I do not believe this is normal, changing the transfer case oil could possibly help Pin point the issue. Is there a new Primary Clutch installed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I do not believe this is normal, changing the transfer case oil could possibly help Pin point the issue. Is there a new Primary Clutch installed?
I changed the transmission/transfer case oil when I got the machine. Nothing out of the ordinary. No metal shavings, nasty oil, or anything that would indicate a problem. I have not done anything to the clutches other than clean them out with some compressed air. I did just replace the drive belt, but it was making the noise before the replacement.

It does not seem to make the noise when accelerating in reverse - only going forwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE

There is no noise during acceleration when the rear tires are lifted off the ground. I just replaced all of the suspension bushings and one of the rear wheel bearings. The other bearing seemed alright (wheel spins freely, no wobbling or side-to-side play). Maybe a CV joint? I've tried to watch the rear of the machine while someone else accelerates but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The machine has 2,000 hours on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts