John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I just got a gator from a friend. Basically gave it to us and asked us to use it and keep it up because he doesn’t have a place for it at his house. Anyway, it’s nearly impossible to shift when it is idling. You have to shut it off and just hold your foot on the brake and start it in gear. It’s been like this for a while because all switches and safety devices have been bypassed.

it shifts fine. I have adjusted the idle down to nearly stalling and still it has a problem. You can see the clutch “open up” when you shut it off.It basically seems like the problem is the clutch stays a little too clamped down at idle to let the belt slip enough to keep the transmission clutch from moving.
I think it just needs a little fiddling but I know nothing about the front clutch. Is it adjustable ? Can I polish something without removing the motor? any help is useful.
I don’t have a gator model number. I was told it is from 1996. It just says 4x2 on the stickers. The is tag had long since been ground away, painted, welded, etc. the motor is a Kawasaki fe250d-as11. The clutch has a tag but I cannot read all of the numbers. It starts with AM13062???. It also says 4x4 and 003?2.

The belt could be too fat as well but I don’t know what belt I would need if it is. Otherwise, the clutch is the issue. I just need a little guidance.

Here are some photos

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Throughly clean with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air, you will need to remove the dome cover in order to properly clean, check the condition of the rollers they possibly have flat spots on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throughly clean with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air, you will need to remove the dome cover in order to properly clean, check the condition of the rollers they possibly have flat spots on them.
Yeah, so the dome cover. It's green metal and looks like it has 3-4 bolts in it. I can just unbolt that? Stuff isnt going to come flying out? Everything is captive inside? I was about to do exactly what you said, but I figured I better ask first in case it was a poor decision.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Yeah, so the dome cover. It's green metal and looks like it has 3-4 bolts in it. I can just unbolt that? Stuff isnt going to come flying out? Everything is captive inside? I was about to do exactly what you said, but I figured I better ask first in case it was a poor decision.
If stuff comes flying out, you have larger problems. The cover serves to help shield the internal components from dirt and debris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. So there are CRAZY flat spots on the rollers. Can I just yank em out and put some new ones in??

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Well removing the rollers is not quite that easily unless you have the correct tools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well removing the rollers is not quite that easily unless you have the correct tools.

Yeah. It works good enough. You can start it in gear and once its in gear its easy to shift as long as you don't dilly dally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After some research, this repair looks a lot easier than many I have done in terms of pulling clutches and drive gears. I may take a stab at it. Can someone help me identify my clutch? The partial number is listed in the original post.

It starts with AM1306???. It also says 4x4 and 003?2.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Have you checked the part diagrams at jdparts.com ?

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
As a FYI, the spider is torque to about 100 ft/lbs. If you don’t have the correct tools to hold the clutch and remove the spider, it could be a 700.00 oops....
JD Clutch Doc can help for more information contact them at [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts