John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, let me start off by saying im new to this forum so if this question has been beat to death please let me know.
Has anyone put the rsx through really bad stuff, i mean really really bad, and how hard are yall on them? If so any problems? Im wanting to use mine for rock/hill climbs but need to know if it'll handle extreme terrain. Thanks in advance for any info yall have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry ment to add that mine is a trail model stock and really dont plan on doing anything to it to help with hills/rock.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!! I use mine in the mud and water, no problems. We have ride in the mountains of western Arkansas with no problems. Nothing to extreme.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd steer clear of Rocks and Rutted stuff if I was you. Probably going to want power steering and bead locks if you're going to tackle that stuff. I did the whole hill climb thing with rocks until I got a front tire stuck on a rock going down hill. Steering wheel was RIPPED out of my hands and rolled down the hill. Bent the roll cage, hydro locked from oil, and broke two tires off the bead. :(

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have done some moderate hill climbing with mine and some mild rock climbing. I have a had really good luck with it. One thing i noticed that really helped with those two things is a clutch kit from EPI. There is a post under the RSX section of this forum.

Around my area, there aren't really any extreme places to climb rocks and stuff, but there are some parks i have been to that were mild to moderate.

I have a 2012 Camo Trail and all i have done mechanically is the clutch kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help yall. I was afraid that the power steering issue would cause a problem. Does JD offer a power steering kit for the rsx?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deeresale: i read the clutch post you are talking about, did you take te hills in low or high? And how slow can you crawl with it in low?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Most of the hills i was climbing were sand/gravel hills. so i was in high range. When i was doing the mild rock climbing i was in low. If i remember right, low range limits you to about 20 mph, but it's got a lot more torque than high range.

As far as the power steering kit, there is one available thru Electra-steer. I have not driven one with it, however i have read some things on it and one of the benefits i can see is that it reduces Kick back of the steering wheel a tremendous amount. Here is their link:

2013 John Deere RSX Electra-Steer for Stock Rack

·
Registered
904 Posts
I know in low on stock clutching its like 32 MPH on mine.

The only time I have problems with the steering is when its in 4wd and you are making good turns. The kick back sucks.

SuperATV has a power steering kit for the gator, I have one on the way. It is a little cheaper and is also from a supporting vendor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've raced in the southern AMA race in stock form and tore up the front diff, and broke a rear axle. Since then I have reworked the suspension, changed the exhaust, installed a programer, seats/belts/lights/wheels and tires and have been racing in the UTV Rally Raid. So far so good with the exception of a front diff issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts