John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 590m and am experiencing a lot of heat coming from the center section of the bucket seat, does everybody just deal with this or has anybody found a fix to divert this heat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 860m and it’s unbearable in summer even with shorts on. Nice in fall and spring but not summer.
I took the seats and plastic off as if you were going to change the belt and I went to Menards and picked up some reflextic. It’s flexable, I wrapped up behind seats to top of air cleaner box, in front of compartment behind my feet and top. Around shifter and seatbelts. I used heat tape to seal everything and screwed the plastic compartment screws right thru the reflextic. I sealed up the battery and fuse compartment up but I have a utility knife with me if I have to cut a opening to get to them, and have some heat tape with me also to tape it back up. I would say it’s about a 90% difference in heat reduction.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My next project this winter is to put 2 bilge fans below seats and run 3” defrost ducting tubes and put a bezel vent deflector out bottom skid plate and pump hot air out of under seat,!with switch on the dash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you have pictures of your project where you used the reflector tape. I wanna see how it came out. Get a picture to what you are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brad...do you think the heat shield matting material can be applied to or perhaps between an existing metal heat shield and a fuel line on a 1953 Ford tractor? The machine develops a vapor lock after 60-80 minutes of operation whenever the air temps are above 65 degrees....really poor design. The fuel line gets gunked up with dirt, fuel etc and I have not found anything that will stick to that tube surface that is approx 3/8 in O.D. diameter.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Brad...do you think the heat shield matting material can be applied to or perhaps between an existing metal heat shield and a fuel line on a 1953 Ford tractor? The machine develops a vapor lock after 60-80 minutes of operation whenever the air temps are above 65 degrees....really poor design. The fuel line gets gunked up with dirt, fuel etc and I have not found anything that will stick to that tube surface that is approx 3/8 in O.D. diameter.

Perhaps this will help? This sleeve is made specifically for fuel lines, other diameters and lengths are available.

There are other types of heat shield that you can wrap and secure with stainless wire ties.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Will try it....really appreciate the suggestion....Brad Shinkle

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Keep us updated!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brad...wanted to thank you for the suggested application of the "heat sleeve" for my vapor lock issue with a 1953 Ford 800 tractor. The installation was a major pain but the performance is a remarkable improvement. I ran 2-3 hours in 80+ degree air temps with zero vapor lock stall events. The stuff works like a charm.

Shink4

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Brad...wanted to thank you for the suggested application of the "heat sleeve" for my vapor lock issue with a 1953 Ford 800 tractor. The installation was a major pain but the performance is a remarkable improvement. I ran 2-3 hours in 80+ degree air temps with zero vapor lock stall events. The stuff works like a charm.

Shink4

You’re welcome!! I was curious about the Installation on your 53.

Glad to help and happy with the results.

On edit:

Brad, do you have any photos of the “heat sleeve “ installed?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The fuel line emerges from the bottom of the tank, makes a 90 degree bend , runs the length of the engine between the valve cover and the exhaust muffler, makes another 90 degree bend, runs down the left side of the engine to the collector bowl. I detached the fuel line at both points and, with substantial swearing and wrist twisting, was able to thread the sleeve over the line.

The tractor is 175 miles from home, will try to get photos next time I am up there in a couple of weeks...thanks again for the idea.

Photos try to show installation of insulating sleeve over fuel line from bottom of fuel tank (photo 2) to top of the collection bowl (photo 1). The sleeve has made a significant improvement in hot weather operations.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
The fuel line emerges from the bottom of the tank, makes a 90 degree bend , runs the length of the engine between the valve cover and the exhaust muffler, makes another 90 degree bend, runs down the left side of the engine to the collector bowl. I detached the fuel line at both points and, with substantial swearing and wrist twisting, was able to thread the sleeve over the line.

The tractor is 175 miles from home, will try to get photos next time I am up there in a couple of weeks...thanks again for the idea.

Sounds great!! Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts