John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to purchase a 2014 850i Midnight Black special edition but my trailer entry is only 71" and I think with a roof the height on the 850i will be close to 75". Inside the trailer is taller so just need to get the 850i through up the ramp and through the door somehow.

I'm wondering if those Fox 2.0 Performance shocks that come on this version can easily be lowered while i'm loading or unloading to get it in and out of the trailer?

Or if not, then can I get a ratchet strap thingy and do that to both sides in the back to lower it about 4" or so?

I'm calling my fiancé "Dear" all of the time for subliminal messaging to get the approval when I explain why we need a John Deere 850i. Just gotta get all my ducks in a row and not miss anything that will lose me my chance.

My trailer width is 57.5 so i'm going to have to climb out the back to get out and in when loading, but all I can think is "fits like a glove!".

Thanks for any assistance and I REALLY hope I get this. I can't stop thinking about it.

Curt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mean ratchet strap the shocks down somehow (assuming I can't just lower the Fox 2.0 shocks to the lowest setting and get 4" less height).

Curt

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
888 Posts
I think any hokey scheme you come up with is just asking for one step to be forgotten in the loading process and you'll have a the lights buggered on your Gator and a bent trailer.

How about trading your enclosed trailer for an open one? The trailer would be less expensive and would take care of the height problem and allow you to get out of the Gator with dignity instead of crawling out through the bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice and I'll have to mull it over. I talked to some shocks guys and they said to go ahead a ratchet it down and just make sure to release it once inside trailer and no worries. Either options solves my problem though! :)

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
888 Posts
Have you actually looked at the suspension to see how you could ratchet it down? You'll have to take into consideration the length of your hooks and the ratchet mechanism. I assume you'd try to compress the springs which doesn't leave you much height to work with and you have limited places to hook straps. Trying to grab an A arm and pull the suspension up could also work but you'd need some framework above to attach the other end of the strap.

I just don't think it's a good idea. It would take a lot of force to pull that much travel out of the suspension and you'll have to do it on all four corners. Then you've still got to wiggle like a monkey out the back window to get in and out. Just get a trailer that will work. I think it will be such a hassle factor trailering with the smaller trailer that you might not use it very often because it's such a PITA. Sell your current trailer, get a proper sized one so loading and unloading the Gator is a breeze and I think you'll be much happier.

If this is a one time move for the Gator then I'd say keep the trailer and pull the wheels off to get it inside by rolling it on dollies. If you've got to trailer it for regular use... get a properly sized trailer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have to crawl out the back you won't have holm to loosen and retighten the straps in the trailer.
How about finding the smallest wheels and tires you can find and swapping them out to travel. That's how they transport monster trucks. Think little golf cart wheels, if they will clear your brakes. Real crazy idea..... Extra set of beater wheels with no tires on them :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Actually, the wheel and tire Idea is Good, But a Hassle...I have an 02 Dodge Cummins with an 8' bed..I bought 2 front wheels and good Off Road tires and mount them on the Rear of my Gator, so I can load it in the back of my Truck..When I get to where I am riding for the day, I put the big tires on, and carry a Spare............Your enclosed trailer Idea with wratchet strapping down your Skocks is just about the Most Shade Tree Idea I think I have heard yet...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I agree with Dane on this one. none of ur are trying to bash u. id say get a different trailer and get ur salesman to deliver ur gator since they can do that for free atleast they should since u just bought a brand new one! just an idea but hate to have such a hassle. shoot if u were closer hell id let u borrow my trailer to just get it home haha

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same issue with putting mine in my garage, I solved it by lowering the roll cage. It was a lot of work but it now fits..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Food for thought here.....
If you are driving up a ramp into the trailer....the front gator wheels will be inside the trailer and the back wheels still on the lower then floor level ramp...by the time your rear wheels get up to floor level...the roof/rops may already be inside the lip at the top of the trailer....so also the steeper the ramp the better in this case....for sure, make sure that there is enough height once inside....don't want to hear that you crashed the roof...

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. Poppy john is correct.

2. Don't focus a $15,000 toy around a $3,000 trailer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts