John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1998 JD 6x4 with Kawasaki FD620D Liquid Cooled engine that will not start and only backfires through the carb when starting attempt.

I have completed the following:
1. Compression tests show 175/180
2. Flywheel rotated to TDC on each cylinder and valves adjusted to 0.010
2a. I made sure of TDC with a screwdriver in the spark hole.
3. All push rods and rockers checked and confirmed ok.
4. Valves and rockers operate as should with starter motor, cam gear must be ok.
5. Spraying starting fluid in carb or directly in intake only can achieve a backfire through carb / intake
6. Spark / Fire tested and successful at each plug. Verified against block and with spark plug tool.
7. Fuel verified and confirmed at carb. Electric Fuel Pump.

Next Steps I am planning:
1. I ordered new spark plugs (NGK BMR2A)
2. I ordered a new carb
3. I will clean out the spark arrestor and muffler.
4. Planning on pulling the flywheel and checking woodriff key.

I am honestly stumped on this. I have good air, fuel and spark. I have tried with choke, air filter removed, carb covered with hand, spray, etc. Also, the oil is overfull and thin but clean and correctly colored. Possible fuel in gas tank from starting attempt too many times without firing?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Your comment on "thin oil" and overfilled are a bit concerning. It might be wise to drain and fill with proper as it sounds like it is fuel diluted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rented (2) two jaw pullers, however the 1st one (5 ton) was too small, and the 2nd one (7 ton) was too think to fit behind the flywheel and the block. Anyone have a trick to get the flywheel off without using a hammer and pry bar?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know if it's possible to crosswire the ignition coils? I think the plugs from the ignition module to the coils are next to each other, although they might be keyed differently.

Or maybe the magnetic timing sensors on the flywheel are moved from where they're supposed to be? It's been too long since I had that part of the motor apart.

Backfiring is often a sign of bad timing.

Did the machine ever run right, was it worked on by a rookie? Any history at all?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could be its jetted wrong this happened to me and I needed 5000& up jets and in new carbs they sell jetted for sea level

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to remove the flywheel with a harmonic puller. To my surprise the woodriff key is actually a part of the crank and not seperate? I cleaned everything up and took the opp. to replace the plugs and again re-seal the carb with new gaskets and gasket sealer. It fired up! I have no idea what I did to correct this issue, as nothing else was really improved or changed?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What did the OP do about the thin overfilled oil?

It could be this is significantly fuel diluted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts