John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to remove the sticking clutch in my 855D and need help from those who have removed clutches before from early models: 825i, 850D or 855D. Early is considered SN: below 060000. All of these machines require clutch puller tool, JDG1641.

Please Note: Gators with SN 060001 and above use a different puller, JDG11200 with different threads. (I am not interested in this)

I hate to pay for a special tool when a home solution is available and much cheaper. Example: Common hex bolt and appropriate rod to push against. So I’m looking for help in what will work, so it can be purchased prior to removal.

Need:
1. Confirmation threads are 9/16-18
2. JD Puller substitute solution: Bolt and pusher rod diameter and length. Example Hex head bolt 9/16-18x4.0” long purchased from Lowes and hex head bolt 1/2-12x2.5” long with head removed.

Perhaps the attached photos will help demonstrate what I am looking for. Looking for a solution such as the 2nd photo. Remember this is for the older style clutch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a bump to see if anyone can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not a lot of help YET, But if I were doing this I would not use non-graded hardware for this job. I'd go to tractor supply (or similar) & go with grade 8 or 5 at min..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Quick update...
Used two bolts similar to the idea shown in the original post to remove the clutch without issue. Threads are 9/16-18. Modified a 1/2" bolt, by removing the hex head and threads saving just the smooth section. IE: Used just the bolt shank. Grade 8 for all hardware. Applied anti-seize to the bolts threads.

I'll post specifics next weekend along with pictures in the event anyone wants to duplicate.

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Look forward to the pics!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The home made clutch puller to mimic JDG1641 was made from the following:

1/2-12x 6.0" long Grade 8 bolt (Course or fine threads... It doesn't matter)
9/16-18x4.0" long Grade 8 bolt

Cut the threads and hex head from the 1/2" bolt leaving just the shank of approximately 3.37" long. Make both cuts square to prevent side loads during removal.

Put the 1/2" shank into the hole first. Lube the 9/16-18 threads (I used anti-seize) and crank away.

Here are a few pictures to better demonstrate the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good work 200! Now we need someone to post the details on the puller for the RSX . I started a thread asking for input for the JDG11200 puller but I guess nobody has one . Lots of views but 0 replies..... I'm in Canada and dealer in my area will not sell you one!!! Not sure if this is JD Canada policy or the dealer but they're the only dealer in my province so doesn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Madorsx
Have you tried to order the puller online?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mayors X,

I tried searching for the design details for the part you requested, but came up with nothing.

The best I could find was some other "Rapid Response" primaries using a 3/4-16 thread. All of the various clutch pullers seem to use fine threads. Perhaps it would be worth purchasing a few fine thread bolts in this size range to see which one might fit. Of course there is the potential it is a metric thread.

Another option would be to call Venom to see if they would divulge the thread size.

Good luck and let the forum users know what you find.

Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for trying 200... I think I can get one online but would be close to a hundred bucks with current currency exchange and freight. Not that I'm cheap but hate to pay that kind of money for what is essentially a bolt. Did find this info for a AC Wildcat puller. ( TEAM clutch also ) Think I'll go try to find an M14 X 1.5 bolt and try it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M14 is a small diameter (less than 9/16"). I'm under the impression the puller you need has a larger diameter than 9/16 required on my Gator.

Perhaps you can use various size dowel rods to get an idea what the approximate diameter is. Kind of like a go/no-go gauge. At least this would get you in the range of what bolts to try.

Understand wanting to save some money. I'm all for it, thus why I went this route.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I need to remove my clutch as well on RSX 850i clutch model AM0679 an I'm not sure what puller I well need the JDG11200 or the JDG1641

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sheldon801, I can't confirm as I don't have a manual for the 850i. I guess one way you could confirm is to buy a 9/16-18 bolt to see if it threads easily into the clutch.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess I well have to try that an see if that works. went online to greenstone.com an they say I need the JDG11200 but omg 50 bucks for the puller an 40 for shipping an that's us dollars an I live in Canada so with the exchange rate an custom fees an so on I will have to pay around about 150 canadain that's outrageous just for a bolt. But I do know a 3\4 fine thread is a little to big so I'm thinking it's a metric bolt going to try a few metric sizes as well to see if I can get one to fit. Well post in a few days if I get something that works if not I guess I will have to pay the price for the puller that's for the advice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a little mistake on my part on the last message 9\16 won't fit it's to small I tried a 5\8 an it passes right on into the clutch so it's to small as well an a 3/4 is to big but not buy much it seems to grab the end of the thread but will not thread on an that's using a fine thread bolt so I think it might me metric maybe a m18 size fine thread or a super fine thread going to try bolt in the next few days an see what happens

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sheldon801,

Did you ever determine the thread size? If so, please post your findings.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
I need to remove the sticking clutch in my 855D and need help from those who have removed clutches before from early models: 825i, 850D or 855D. Early is considered SN: below 060000. All of these machines require clutch puller tool, JDG1641.
Please see specifications for JDG1641... I'm not responsible for any errors in measurements or representations.

A 6.5000 in
B 3.6610 in
C 3.5590 in
D .9760 in
E .5760 in

DIA .5590 in
TPI 18

1 - 20 of 27 Posts